If you'd be opening a baby/kids store, which mid-range seats would you carry?

tentoes

A friend is looking to carry mid-range (i.e. between Scenera and Britax..which I know has a range but you get the point) car seats and boosters in a store she wants to open. It will be in an area where car seat education is scant (and I'm trying to convince her to employ a part-time CPST on staff or at least have proper signage and hand out a list of seat checks in the area when parents buy a new seat). She's looking for 2-3 seats per category right now. Here's what I suggested (any comments? I need ideas for HBB and LBBs, we're years away from one so I haven't done all that research. TIA)--

Chicco Keyfit (22 or 30)
Safety 1st OnBoard 35

True Fit
My Ride 65
(or EFTA or Coccoro)

Maestro
Nautilus

Graco TurboBooster
HBB2-?

LBB1-?
LBB2-?
Bubblebum

RSTV
Safety 1st Go

ADS

T4K

Recaro Vivo?

If I was opening a store. I'd look for seats not widely available at big box retailers.

tentoes

The big-box retailers aren't that close to where she's opening. She also needs seats that people won't balk at the price of. But I'm going to add the Vivo anyway in case she wants a more expensive option.

T4K

I thought the Vivo was around $80? I was trying to think of midrange pricing, like you suggested.

I think a lot of the seats are great. How about the Nautilus, Pria, and Complete Air.

ETA: see you have the Nautilus. I would definitely carry the keyfit 30 instead of the 22.

tentoes

True, the Vivo is definitely mid-range, but the neighborhood she wants to open in is used to sticking kids in seat belts (if at all) even if they aren't ready. Most will spend more on an infant seat, then stick a kid in a LBB or HBB when they outgrow (I know, horrible!). So to them a $40 Turbobooster is 'expensive.' Its not that the area is dirt-poor, but most have no clue about EH, RF and car seat safety and have to be convinced as to WHY its safer to RF and harness longer.
I'd rather wait for them to work out kinks in the Pria since its still new.

If she carries the CA, I would suggest the RN65 too..

I'm curious, why KF30 vs. 22? Other than better colors on the 30, most kids won't be anywhere near the 30lb. weight limit to justify the high price-tag..or am I forgetting something?

T4K

The extra 8 pounds can make a difference for many kids. Plus if they want to keep in a bucket as long as poss...I would def it for the 30.

momtoo3

If the Vivo is too expensive, how about the Evenflo Big Kid Sport (same seat as the Amp but in a high back version)? Walmart sells them for about $30.

NVMBR02

I would suggest the Evenflo Amp as one of the LBB. I think that the Literider or Cruz would be a good second choice for LBB.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would go TF, MR and EFTA on the convertibles, for sure, but then again they're all pretty much in the same price range.

Since you said people are in need of education, what about working with her to see if you could develop some sort of safety video, and have it on a TV in that section -- something with best practice on seat selection, and proper installation tips? That might help with explaining WHY babies shouldn't go straight into LBB, and I find that if I can get parents to understand the "why" (instead of just parroting the recommendation at them) I have a lot more success getting kids properly restrained.

Jocey'sMommy

infant- Keyfit 30, safety 1st onboard 35, and I would actually do the SR 30 too, it fits smaller babies better and lets face it, 1st time parents flock towards Graco infant seats, its the name they hear the most and after all she is trying to sell this stuff ;)

convertible- people love the MyRide, even if they know nothing about car seats so I would def use that one and then pick a less common convertible like the TF and if she really wanted to add another one in the Pria 70

Combo- Maestro and Nautilus

booster- Harmony Dreamtime??(do they work with small stores or just walmart, buy buy baby, and amazon?) and Turbo . . . maybe just do turbo elite? cause it sounds good and isn't that much more

LBB- I have no clue

tentoes

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Since you said people are in need of education, what about working with her to see if you could develop some sort of safety video, and have it on a TV in that section -- something with best practice on seat selection, and proper installation tips? That might help with explaining WHY babies shouldn't go straight into LBB, and I find that if I can get parents to understand the "why" (instead of just parroting the recommendation at them) I have a lot more success getting kids properly restrained.

Great idea, but I don't live anywhere near her..I'm going to ask if she can find a CPST that would do that though.

Or a Combi Shuttle 33 for infant seat. I wish some place around here carried it.
AFAIK, the Shuttles require the base to be used at all times. I purposely didn't include it since that would hamper some people and others would probably forget..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC