Considering Retiring the Oto

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have an Oto booster (Canadian-only cousin to the Olli... great for its armlessness and therefore skinniness. :thumbsup:) We travel with it, 'cause it's light and skinny. However, it's mostly sucked for us in every car we've used it in because of its rigid LATCH connectors.

Generally, I try to put DS in the centre position. The Oto doesn't play well there in many cars because there's most often no LATCH, and/or there's something blocking the Oto's connectors from getting into the bight. :thumbsdown: (Usually, it's one connector that's blocked, which makes the seat sit crooked relative to the vehicle's seat back.)

The TC crash test results for the Oto suggest that having the Oto LATCHed-in MAY (and I emphasize MAY) cause more abdominal injuries because the seat stays back while the child goes forward. Eventually in the crash sequence the child's body may pull the lap belt out of the Oto's guides, allowing it to ride up to the abdomen. :thumbsdown: With this information, I prefer NOT to LATCH it even if we're using it in a LATCHable position. This often doesn't work for me either because the seat naturally finds the LATCH on its own, or it doesn't fit on the seat right if you try to offset it from the LATCH.

So, with these things in mind, I'm feeling the seat doesn't work well for us and we'd be better travelling with a Lightrider or Apramo. :shrug-shoulders: (I'm even considering a Bubblebum for our travels outside Canada.)

Am I over thinking this? (probably. :eek:) Tell me what you think! :)

ETA: One reason this is coming up for me now is because I thought it would fit nicely beside the infant seat in our Rondo. The hinge for the 60/40 bench prevents one side of the Oto from sitting against the seat back, so its not going to work for us in that car. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
ADS

canadiangie

I know what you mean. My mom has an Oto for the oldest grandkids to use, but I encourage her to use her hb TB or convert it to backless if needed. I love the idea of the Oto, but... :eek:

crunchierthanthou

Am I over thinking this? (probably. :eek:) Tell me what you think! :)

No, I think you're probably right on. That's a reasonable argument against using LATCH with the Oto. If you aren't using that feature, then the connectors are just getting in the way- especially in the middle. If you're only keeping for the lightweight/portability aspect, there are other seats to fit that need.

creideamh

If you're over it, and want to sell it, ahemmm.... :)

But yeah, I try to only keep seats I'm really happy with. (which only works half the time...)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I *want* to use mine, but I keep coming up with excuses not to (Like, I don't really have a kid that's backless booster age right now). I'd be tempted to use it with the shoulderbelt out of the guide on the buckle side, if I did use it again (I said tempted, and if, so I don't think I will do that, just been pondering it since the TC research...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC