Question What car seat is this? Trying to keep nephew harnessed

megan.amarice

OwenCS.jpg

My sister-in-law posted this photo of her 3.5 year old yesterday. I pointed out that he looks like he's outgrown in and she said, "Yup! Almost time for a booster!" I responded with a little about how old kids should be for a booster, but I don't know how receptive she'll be. I have something I can trade in at BRU and I seriously doubt he'll stay harnessed if we don't help with getting him a new seat; I think all his seats so far have been hand-me-downs or used.

So, any idea what seat this is? If I know, then I should know how tall his shoulders are and what would be a good seat for him. And then what would be a good seat for him, but not too expensive. We're tight on money ourselves but I know my husband will agree that we should do what we can to educate his sister and help keep our nephew safe.

ADS

luckyclov

It's an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1. I'd recommend to her that she trades that seat in for a Maestro.
Yeah, that.

She could also look at a Graco Nautilus. The Maestro will be cheaper (about $90), but if she trades in the EB seat at BRU's trade-in event, she gets 25% off an item in-store. The Nautilus will lost longer in the long-run.

Also, you may want to remind her (as tactfully as possible, of course) how important it is to have the harness tightned properly. That looks really, really loose to me.

henrietta

Since he's already 3.5 and he's just now at the top slots of the EB, I think he'd have a good long while in the Evenflo Maestro. He'd probably make it till 5 harnessed, which is probably only as long as you could possibly convince her anyways. At that point, he could use the Maestro for a booster for a short while, and you could buy him a high back Graco Turbo booster or Evenflo for his 5th birthday or Christmas in a cool pattern.

GL!

henrietta

megan.amarice

Thanks for the ID and the recommendations. I just sent her an email outlining her two best choices and their prices. I hope she listens! I have sent her emails before about the way his harness looks in pictures and she always insists that it was just while they were getting in the car and it was properly tightened afterwards. :( I doubt that's true, but I don't know how far I can push, as she isn't my sister and we aren't close. If she insists they don't have the money for a new seat, we'll buy her a Maestro, suggest she use it until he outgrows it, then pass it back to us for DD (who'll probably be forward-facing by then or soon after). If she damages it somehow or I don't trust that she's taken proper care of it, it won't be a huge loss to us. I can offer to help her install it then too so I know she can do it properly. I also like the idea of buying him a highback booster for his birthday/Christmas (which are 2 days apart, lol). Thanks again!

megan.amarice

I just wanted to thank you all for the suggestions. I emailed her and suggested that we purchase a Maestro for our DD to use down the road and that he use it in the meantime until he turns 5, at which point we'd love to buy him a booster. She seemed to think on that for awhile, then said she loved the idea! DD just turned 2 and won't need it until she's at least 4, but I told DH I didn't care if we even ended up using it for her if it meant DN was safer, and he agreed. Of course SIL emailed me right after I'd gone to BRU to turn in the broken play pen and bought a new one with the coupon, but luckily Diapers.com has the Maestro on sale for the same as the discounted price at BRU, plus no tax, so I just bought it there. So happy! We'll be taking it down to her in a few weeks, and I told her I'd be playing with it and would help her install it, so yay! Kept my nephew out of a booster until he's older!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC