True Fit ... bent top tether hook?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Just curious, anyone else ever had this happen?

0829110943-00.jpg

It's a regular True Fit, my friend has had it for about 18 months and been using it exclusively RF so the tether has been just attached to the storage clip the whole time. I borrowed it to try some configurations for a customer and when I pulled it out of my trunk the clip fell off and I realized it's completely bent in.

I called First Years, and first she told me it's not a replaceable part and to try to bend it back by rolling a pen underneath it. I did that, but it still won't close fully and I'm worried about it clamping properly onto a tether anchor. So I emailed her a photo and she said they're sending out a new tether clip kit... I'm interested to see what they send and how to change it, because it doesn't look like something that would be very easy to replace?

ADS

nevaehsmommy

Mine looked JUST like that. They sent me a fix for it. The fix did fix it until the first time I used it. Called back and they sent me a replacement seat. The tether on that was wack as well. So I just used the seat rearfacing. The seat was in a crash about 5 months later. So no true fit now

babygirlsmom1005

Yes. My 1st TFP did that, they sent a replacement seat, 2nd one did it too. Since I now only plan to use it RF'ing, I am not worried about it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
This happened on 2 of mine. They have a document with a fix you can do yourself and if that doesn't work, you can ask them to send you a clip to hold it shut. The fix worked for me, you just need to use a much larger screwdriver than they suggest and have lots of strength. I had to get DH to do it, my twigs couldn't pull up enough to get it where it needed to be.

I've got the fix document uploaded somewhere and have linked to it on another thread or two here. I'm off to a meeting that started a minute ago so can't find it now, but if someone else hasn't found it by the time I get back, I'll search for it.

Brianna

This happened on 2 of mine. They have a document with a fix you can do yourself and if that doesn't work, you can ask them to send you a clip to hold it shut. The fix worked for me, you just need to use a much larger screwdriver than they suggest and have lots of strength. I had to get DH to do it, my twigs couldn't pull up enough to get it where it needed to be.

I've got the fix document uploaded somewhere and have linked to it on another thread or two here. I'm off to a meeting that started a minute ago so can't find it now, but if someone else hasn't found it by the time I get back, I'll search for it.

I think this is the one you're talking about https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...aCZqD1qFMqoy-9zgbJy5QmBmXxU_K5Ko4t31I0q&hl=en

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, the person I am supposed to meet with isn't in their office. :shrug-shoulders:

Yes, that's the url, thanks! Apparently I made a tinyurl for it as well http://www.tinyurl.com/truefit-tether

Something odd, when I click the link (either the full link or the tinyurl link) on my mobile device, it takes me to a list of my files rather than straight to the document. On my desktop it goes straight to the document as it should. Does this happen to anyone else? or is is just me since the file is on my account?

mamakaimon

Bumping this up. I'm pretty sure I posted about this issue when I had it the first time too, but I couldn't find my thread. They sent me a fix that did not work and then replaced my seat. Now I'm considering switching DS to FF and I realized that the hook is bent again! Frustrating. I called again and they're going to send me the clip piece to fix it. I assume that will be the same thing they sent last time that didn't work. I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting a new seat from them again! Last time they sent me the wrong model and it took forever to get everything settled. Customer service was nice, it was just a huge hassle.

They never sent me the doc on how to bend it back myself. Has anyone done this and felt comfortable using the seat FF?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes I did it on 2 of mine. The tab isn't load bearing or anything. The document is linked above and one of my posts in this thread says to use a bigger diameter object than what they say and have someone with strength do it. You almost have to overbend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Doesn't it stay hooked once it's tightened? I realize it won't "clip" on but it's not likely to just slip off.

Just wondering, a friend had that bent piece actually break off her Nautilus. Wondering if I should have her call Graco.

mamakaimon

Yes I did it on 2 of mine. The tab isn't load bearing or anything. The document is linked above and one of my posts in this thread says to use a bigger diameter object than what they say and have someone with strength do it. You almost have to overbend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Thank you! I'm so nervous about messing with safety things.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC