3 across 2004 Honda CRV? Two rear-facing?

staryla

Hi all,

Currently in our 2004 CRV:
-3 year-old RF in a TFP (I'm ready to turn him FF, but its currently easier to just leave the seats set up as they are).
-2 month old in a Chicco Keyfit (the ones that only go up to 20 (22?) lbs).

My sister-in-law is flying in for a visit in 2 months and we need to fit her 8 month old in the car. They have the child in a Chicco Keyfit 30 at their house.

I have two Keyfit bases (one of which is marked for both versions of the carseat). so I was playing around trying to get 3 across. There is NO WAY with the TrueFit to have this happen (I figured this would be the case, but no harm in trying right?:))

We also have a Complete Air and it seems like I might be able to get 3 across with the CA FF in the middle and the two infant bases on the sides. I played around with this configuration, but I've never tried doing 3 across before and am not 100% sure how to check for independent tightness. It seemed doable with some extra effort, but due to the 60/40 split of the backseat; the infant base behind the passenger has very little room and I'm worried that someone might 'think' they had snapped it in properly but not actually have done so. But for a week long visit we could probably handle this.

But...I've already decided that we need to buy a Radian in the next few months. Both our cars our on the smallish side and we plan on having another child soon so it seems that Radian/s are in our future.:p We'd only be using it FF, but from what I've heard there is not another seat that is as narrow. (Is this true?) The blog review of the new Diono seats said that they were 2 inches wider which concerns me and makes me maybe want to go ahead and get a Radian now. Plus I'm thinking that perhaps for this upcoming visit we could get a FF Radian and a RF Complete Air plus the infant seat in the back. Then my Sister in law could avoid gate-checking her carseat. Anyone know how the FF Radian might puzzle with the Chicco infant seats or the Complete Air?

Also, is the Keyfit 30 the same dimensions as our older Keyfit? Cause I'm assuming I can test this configuration, but if her carseat is different then I'm wrong.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
My CRV is the previous generation to yours (1998) but I'd guess the back seat space is about the same. I've never installed a CA in it to give any advice there, but a FF Radian fits perfectly next to a Keyfit, I for sure would be able to get a FF Radian in the center and Keyfits on either side. Doesn't sound like you'll need this configuration, but just FYI a RF Radian and Keyfit do NOT puzzle together, the arm of the Keyfit is in the way, you need a bigger back seat to put them next to one another.

And as far as how to check for independent tightness, what you want to do is install all three seats, usually start with the center seat, then install the two outboard seats. Remove the center seat and make sure that the outboard seats are tight on their own. Put the middle seat back in, and remove the outboard seats and make sure the center seat is tight on it's own. Basically what you're checking for is that you don't have a false sense of tightness because one of the seats is being held in by another seat, as opposed to the seat belt or LATCH.

Also, you'll probably want to do seatbelt installs for all three seats (and you don't have LATCH in the center anyhow) just because it typically will buy more space than trying to do LATCH seatbelt LATCH.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC