Booster Buckle

Mamamac

Booster Buckle - Posted Pics of seat in the car

I know you can't use after market products with car seats, but are these safe?? Their website says they are, BUT I cannot find anything else on them.

Last edited:
ADS

hrice

APmama2MAK said:

Thank you.

That product is not safe. It changes the position of the lap belt and places it too high which can cause injury to the soft tissue of the abdomen. It would also be prohibited by any booster/car seat manufacturer. Seat belt extenders are for extremely rare situations when an adult is too large for a regular seat belt.

Are you having buckling troubles with your booster? How old and heavy is your child and what booster are you using? What vehicle do you drive and do you have other children? Answers to these questions will help us make recommendations to help you.

Mamamac

Thank you.

That product is not safe. It changes the position of the lap belt and places it too high which can cause injury to the soft tissue of the abdomen. It would also be prohibited by any booster/car seat manufacturer. Seat belt extenders are for extremely rare situations when an adult is too large for a regular seat belt.

Are you having buckling troubles with your booster? How old and heavy is your child and what booster are you using? What vehicle do you drive and do you have other children? Answers to these questions will help us make recommendations to help you.

We are both in EMS so we have some background on the car seat safety. I don't like the idea, dh does. Anyway, he thinks ordering the 3" one will help. I am still on the fence and would rather see if the Parkway will fit better.

Anyway...DD1 is 6, 59 pounds, 50 inches, and is in a Frontier. Last week her shoulders still had an inch before the last harness slot, two days ago, I looked at her and her shoulders were over the slot. Sure enough she grew!! So yesterday we put the Frontier into the booster mode, which fit great in my car (Odyssey), but dh has a 2003 tahoe which has always been difficult to get a decent fit with any car seat. She sits behind the front passenger. The buckle sits far back and low so when the belt is buckled it gets bunched up under the arm rest of the booster causing it to really jack up the way the seatbelt should be. We have already ordered a Britax Parkway for my Dad's van which should be here on Friday. I'm hoping that seat will work better in my dh's car.

Oh and my DD2 5, 40 pounds, 44 inches, is still happy in her Britax Frontier secured with the 5pt. :) She sits behind the driver and her seat is belted in.

hrice

What booster were you using in your DHs car? The Frontier? Is you tried the Frontier that is the widest booster on the market so pretty much any other booster will work better. Evenflo boosters are quite narrow as is the Recaro Vivo. Do you have a baby store nearby that would let you try boosters in your vehicle?

Mamamac

What booster were you using in your DHs car? The Frontier? Is you tried the Frontier that is the widest booster on the market so pretty much any other booster will work better. Evenflo boosters are quite narrow as is the Recaro Vivo. Do you have a baby store nearby that would let you try boosters in your vehicle?

Yes it was the Frontier. I bought the Parkway for my dad's car after doing lots of reading. It was between that one and the Sunshine Monterey because I liked the fact that you secured the seat with the latch so that you don't have any flying objects. Hopefully the Parkway will fit better. We have a Babies R Us, but they don't carry either of those seats, nor do any of the boutique type stores. Trust me, I called them all ;)

hrice

Are you only open to boosters with LATCH? There are many great boosters out there but you are definitely limited if LATCH is a deal breaker. The purpose of LATCH on a booster is to prevent it from being a projectile in a crash if it's unoccupied. You can solve that issue by buckling the booster when not in use.

Babies R Us carries the Britax Parkway, Graco Turbobooster and I think the Evenflo AMP and Big Kid in store.

I am off to do some searching on your specific vehicle and booster compatability.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Being in EMS I'm sure you have seen tons of horrific things involving child passenger safety. Kudos to you for taking the steps to keep your kids safe. I would definitely try a narrower booster before using an aftermarket product. There are tons of boosters out there that are great and position the seat belt well on most kids. To prevent a booster from becoming a projectile, have your DD buckle it back in when she gets out. Non-rigid LATCH on a booster is really just a convenience feature.

Mamamac

Are you only open to boosters with LATCH?

I am off to do some searching on your specific vehicle and booster compatability.

Pretty much. I don't want to take that chance on forgetting to buckle it back up and then something happen. I'm kind of a freak about stuff in the car. And thank you for looking up the vehicle.

Being in EMS I'm sure you have seen tons of horrific things involving child passenger safety. Kudos to you for taking the steps to keep your kids safe. I would definitely try a narrower booster before using an aftermarket product. There are tons of boosters out there that are great and position the seat belt well on most kids. To prevent a booster from becoming a projectile, have your DD buckle it back in when she gets out. Non-rigid LATCH on a booster is really just a convenience feature.

Thanks! I get so aggravated when I see kids not properly restrained! My dh and I actually did a car seat / seat belt safety check this past May at the girls school and have been asked to do it again next month.

My dd has broad shoulders and I am worried that some of the others don't have the width. I am open to suggestions, but again, I worry about that one time I forget to rebuckle. I really, really like the idea of it being secured.

Kat_Momof3

I'm on the fence... if it doesn't position the lapbelt wrong, I wouldn't say it's UNsafe... but I'd want to look up the restriction they say it exceeds... see what all that covers (aka, more than just throwing it against a wall and it passes kind of thing)

Pixels

The buckle sits far back and low so when the belt is buckled it gets bunched up under the arm rest of the booster causing it to really jack up the way the seatbelt should be.

The seat belt bunching is common and fine.

Using a seat belt extender would be considered an accessory. Your owner's manual says "The use of non-Britax covers, inserts, toys, accessories, or tightening devices is not approved by Britax. Their use could cause this child seat to fail Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or not perform as intended in a crash."

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Kat_Momof3 said:
I'm on the fence... if it doesn't position the lapbelt wrong, I wouldn't say it's UNsafe... but I'd want to look up the restriction they say it exceeds... see what all that covers (aka, more than just throwing it against a wall and it passes kind of thing)

I'd say adding any sort of aftermarket, unregulated product to a seatbelt is unsafe. Especially the 11"-long one!

The FMVSS standard is probably in relation to seatbelt buckles or something. It could be manufacturing guidelines as opposed to testing.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, and to the original poster: You might want to take a look at the Monterey. It's narrow at the bottom (especially toward the back) so it's often easier to buckle. It also has "torso wings" that can adjust in or out, so it might be good if your daughter has broad shoulders.

I agree with the previous poster, though, that the bunching might not be a problem. Is there any chance you can post a photo of what it's doing?

Mamamac

The seat belt bunching is common and fine.

Maybe bunching is the wrong word. It snags up in there causing it to not be snug on the lap area and actually gets caught in the arm rest area. Trust me, it doesn't look good.

My husband goes on a 72 hour shift tomorrow, I'm sure we will visit him at some point. I will take a pic and show you, it's kind of hard to explain. I will definitely look at more options, but I will wait till we get that Parkway and go from there.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
"My dh and I actually did a car seat / seat belt safety check this past May at the girls school and have been asked to do it again next month. "

Are you and your DH Child Passenger Safety Technicians? If you are not, you are opening yourselves up to a huge liability helping people with their carseats. I would see if there is a group or individual certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to come.

I would either get a different booster or deal with the difficult buckling situation. Those booster buckles do not look safe in many ways, most already mentioned. I am especially concerned with how the extra length of buckle would change the seat belt geometry on the child. Also, the metal ("male") part that buckles into the existing vehicle seat belt is shaped nothing like the male buckle in my car - makes me wonder how strong/tight/etc. that connection would be.

There are NO standards in place for after-market products. So, companies can claim whatever they want, since there is no standard to meet.

Mamamac

"My dh and I actually did a car seat / seat belt safety check this past May at the girls school and have been asked to do it again next month. "

Are you and your DH Child Passenger Safety Technicians? If you are not, you are opening yourselves up to a huge liability helping people with their carseats. I would see if there is a group or individual certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to come.

My dh is and so is everyone on his fire department, and I took pictures :)

Mamamac

Here are some pics.

This is where the shoulder part gets stuck up in the arm rest, so after you buckle her in and pull the belt to make sure the slack is out, it gets stuck up there. When it's stuck you can't snug the lap belt area either. You have to move her car seat, buckle, make sure straps are right, then move the seat back over.

Here you can see how far back the buckle is

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC