Car seat tips in the UK

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I have a friend who splits her time between here in London and South Africa. She just got back to London and wants me to look at her seats for her. I am a certified tech in USA, I do NOT intend to do any other seat checks while I'm over here.

What I'm asking is are there any major differences in laws/ safety standards over here? i know Isofix is LATCH, do they have top tethers? I'm just assuming everything is pretty much the same but I don't want to put her kids in any danger. She has a Volks Wagon something... Should I just not touch them and tell her to see a certified tech here? Do they even have techs here? LOL

I have yet to see a child properly restrained here. It's SO BAD, like appallingly awful. I want to cry every day.

ADS

CrazyBoysMamma

All I know is that they FF horrifyingly early (9 months? not sure exactly, just remember that it's YOUNG) and that without ordering a Swedish seat (which I would totally do if I were there) the RF options are pretty limited.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Yeah, the only RF kids I've seen are (horribly) in buckets. I saw a MAYBE 18 month old FF in a convertible with the headwings way below his shoulders, harness only buckled over his legs leaning complety forward out the side hanging on the ceiling handle. He then managed to completely get out of the harness climbed over to mom and sat in the front seat. Mom did nothing, just kept driving.

lenats31

I have a friend who splits her time between here in London and South Africa. She just got back to London and wants me to look at her seats for her. I am a certified tech in USA, I do NOT intend to do any other seat checks while I'm over here.

What I'm asking is are there any major differences in laws/ safety standards over here? i know Isofix is LATCH, do they have top tethers? I'm just assuming everything is pretty much the same but I don't want to put her kids in any danger. She has a Volks Wagon something... Should I just not touch them and tell her to see a certified tech here? Do they even have techs here? LOL

I would advice her to go to a babygear shop. They can take a look at the seats there.

I have yet to see a child properly restrained here. It's SO BAD, like appallingly awful. I want to cry every day.

I know and i fully agree. But try and tell it to the parents! There is an app 50 % chance they will come up with a 100 excuses. There is also a high risk that they will tell you to put a sock in it and mind your own FU....G business

Lena

B

bumblewasp

No techs as such but local council may have a road safety officer who can advise. You are correct with the Isofix = latch thing. Top tether is becoming more common, but still only on a small percentage of cars.
Theres a pretty good overview of law/standards here: http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/
The FF thing is a pain, the 9 months mark has always been intended a guide for minimum, sadly most people view it as a hurdle to be reached and got over ASAP, as in the day they turn 9 months, they FF :(
In a previous life here I sold car seats and did fitting/checks, I have so many horror stories it's unreal!
Hope this helps

B x

Adventuredad

- What's the age of her kids if I may ask?

- If I remember correctly South Africa recognize the European standard (ECE R44) for car seats.

- A large percentage of children in South Africa sit unrestrained. Regardless of age. Car seat safety is basically irrelevant down there

- Since habits of people are so different down there a parent even using a car seat is seen as doing an excellent job regardless if forward facing at 9 months. FF at forward facing is actually very common in UK and Germany so it's not typical for just South Africa.

- Laws and actual habits of parents are very different things. Parents keep children safe, not the law. Laws are the very minimum required and since it's barely enforced in most countries it's up to parents to keep kids safe. Laws are also very weak regarding car seat safety in pretty much every country.

A good example would be Sweden where there is no law saying anything about minimum rear facing time. I could theoretically forward face a 6-month old (if I could find a seat). Despite this most parents keep children rear facing until age 4 or longer because they know the safety difference is huge.

- If she wants to keep kids rear facing with a great allround seat Britax Hi-Way is a good choice. Light weight, compact, comfortable, rear facing limit of 25 kg (55 lbs) and fits pretty much any car. Fits very well from about 5 months to 4-4.5 years and doesn't need much room in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC