SIP vs 5 pt harness

Safety Freak

Now that I have side curtain airbags, I'm wondering if I should go with a Regent instead of moving DS to a Recaro Start? Do the airbags take the place of the headwings in a way??? He does well sitting back 99% of the time, I still just keep a really good eye on him though....paranoid mommy;) I love the 5 pt harness, I really do, why can't they put SIP on that dang Regent?!?!?! He is about 50 lbs, almost 6 (not that age matters on this issue), not sure how tall he is at the moment, but he had about 5 inches of room to grow in his torso before getting to the top slot on the Regent yesterday when I sat him in one.

He sleeps a lot in the seat now (the Boulevard), but not so much the Parkway with it being more upright, sidewings aren't as conducive to a nap as the BV ones are, his head falls forward and all too. I find the recline on the Parkway to be a bit of a joke and we don't bother with it....don't get me going on that thing they call a cupholder!

After looking at the Radian last night, I am curious about it now. Does it actually have SIP? Or just appear to? Are the slots as tall as the Regent on the 80 lb model?

Lots of questions...sorry! It's been a while since I was snooping around a car seat board and I haven't kept up in the last year or so with what's what.

Thanks!

ADS

Jordynsmama

the radian does not have true SIP nor does the Regent from what I have read.
But for me a 5 point is safer than a booster regardless. We have the PW with great SIP but I feel so much better with her in her regent. And she sleeps great in the PW with the wings so i am surprised u have issues with ds sleeping in his.
There are small wings on the regent that come up and it is so huge-she seems very protected imo. The radian being so narrow I might not feel that way-but it is still safer than a booster imo. The regent will last longer for a 6 yr old boy and will be more comfortable for him most likely to, with him being already 50 lbs. The recaro start is definitely a nice booster but really expensive at 350.00:eek: Also if he doesn't sleep well in the PW the Start probably wont be different. The regent is good for sleeping. If he sleeps in the booster and his head falls forward than the SIP probably isn't as effective anyway-Even with the seatbelt locked the head kinda falls a bit-while not totally unsafe a regent would be safer in that case. Like I said my dd's head rarely ever falls at all forward in the PW but maybe your car seats are more upright or he falls into a deeper sleep.
I think you would like the regent-just don't get an onyx or sahara b/c the fabric is scratchy on the inside-get classic.
Good luck deciding!

Safety Freak

Thank you both. I really did love the way that Regent just wrapped around him in Babies R Us yesterday. It did seem pretty comfy too_On the patterns though, aren't there just 3? Sahara, Onyx, and then the girly one (can't remmeber the name!). That's all I saw on the Britax site, do they sell others?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, they tend to make only a couple of covers at a time and then come out with new one frequently...I think I saw 'Classic' somewhere today, maybe an authorized ebay dealer when I was looking for a stroller, lol...

scatterbunny

I agree with the others, for me, a five point harness will always seem safer for my child than a booster, even one with awesome SIP. My dd is about the same weight as your ds, but sounds taller, as she just moved up to the top slots of the Husky (same as Regent). She turns six next Tuesday. I plan on keeping her in this seat until she outgrows it, and if there's something else with taller top slots on the market at that time I just might buy that, too. :p

My dd is more comfy in the harnessed seat than she is in any booster, too (and we've used four different highback boosters). Her head might flop to one side, but never slumps forward onto her chest. I do use the recline bar even though it isn't necessary since the seat is top tethered.

The cover choices are pretty bad, though. The Sahara and Onyx have this slick, yucky-feeling (to me) material in the center, plush on the sides. Madison is plush all over (but that doesn't help you, it's for a boy :p ). They need to make a couple Regent covers like the older Husky covers. I have the Marina Blue, they also had a Wicket Loden, which was a tan/brown giraffe print. Very cool.

HEY, if you order Madison I'll trade you my Marina Blue cover. ;)

Jordynsmama

There is the classic which is the one we have-
Regent010.jpg

Do they not sell it anymore? Let me go check- YES they do
http://www.tinyride.com/Britax-Regent-P977.aspx
there ya go! It is a very soft, plush fabric all over-even in the middle- just like the madison and it doesn't look bad in person.
Also the straps are black so they will hold up great!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Although the Regent isn't advertized as TSIP ... there are some important factors that put it at the top of my fave list:

Besides the usual comfort, cover options, etc. the Regent is made of the same stronger grade plastic as all Recaros are (Britax told me its the only 1 of their seats made with this stronger grade plastic, which is more similar to the permanent/definitive prosthesis we make in my family owned Prosthetics manufacturing business for athletic use -- almost all other carseats are made of a plastic that is more smiliar to the type we use only for temporary daily rehabilitation with a mere90 day lifespan!) I lost the details on this information when an old computer of mine crashed & my disks got ruined during my move :( But, I consulted my father who is an internationally respected past President of the American Academy of O&P after speaking with Britax & Recaro reps.

The Regent frame is also a double hollow design much like Recaro. Recaro could only be "better" IMO (proper fit of child + vehicle assumed) if it had the 5 point harness. Since we know that 5 point harnesses do perform better in all crash types than 3 point thanks to some US & foreign research, I would undoubtedly choose the Regent over a Recaro booster if the child still fits.

Jordynsmama

To solidify myself and the other posters, although it doesn't have "true" sip-
it does have sip. I was just looking at the side wings and although they do not wrap around like the PW or DC, they do come up and they are very hard with the really thick foam. (see my above pic on the door side) The seat is very sturdy. The child isn't going to jut out far b/c of the 5 point so the small wings should offer that protection-plus the child isn't sitting up against the edge of the seat-they are more in the middle b/c the seat is so wide. With a booster if the belt doesn't stay locked or stretched the child's head might jet out past the wings anyway. If you can get the regent in the middle(which in out case we can't b/c we have to have another child outboard and my middle seat is too narrow) that would obviously be the safest.

Safety Freak

Thank you all! I will keep him in the 5 pt for sure now. Not liking any of the patterns (except Onyx, but scatterbunny has me scared of it now!) Why, oh why can't there be a nice plush gray color??? I might consider that Marina cover offer;)

Also, more questions. I have captains chairs in the middle row. Would he be safer in the center on the back row?

DH has a 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew cab.....any idea if I could get a Regent in there????

Thanks!

scatterbunny

I have my dd in the driver's side captain's chair for a few reasons. I like having her closer to me, so I can hand her things on road trips. I like that I can reach back from the driver's seat to tighten her harness when necessary. And I have a difficult time with installation with only a lapbelt, which the center of my third row has. So the driver's side captain's chair is the best spot for us. I don't think there's any studies showing that the third row isn't as safe as the middle row.

I don't have any experience with the F150 Supercrew, hopefully someone else does! Can you post a pic of the backseat?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
DH has a 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew cab.....any idea if I could get a Regent in there????

The Supercrew is the one with four doors, right? That's what my parents have. I've only put my daughter's Marathon in it, but I can try her Husky in it if you'd like. We'll probably go over there today and I could try it then. I'm pretty sure it'll fit, but I'll give it a try.

shirada

Albeebaby.com has the Classic Regent in stock now. It is MUCH nicer in person. I wasn't sure about it when I saw it online, but it is velvety smooth and very plush. My DD loves it:)

skaterbabs

If you aren't trying to do 3-across, the Husky will fit almost anywhere. I've seen pics of it in a VW Beetle, and I've installed one in a Chevy Cobalt.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The Supercrew does have the 4 doors. I think I am going to BRU tomorrow to try it out in my van and in DH's truck. I hope it fits well!

Ah, cool. I didn't have time to take it out and try it! I think it'll fit just fine, though; I took another look and the seat is deep enough, and I'm pretty sure the belt is long enough for the long route. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC