'06 Equinox - thoughts?

V

VanIsleMommy

It's not a honda pilot, which I loved, but I'm going to test drive a used equinox tomorrow. I'm giving up third row seats and 4WD but I don't NEED those features for now. Only one owner and 75k km.

Anything I should know?

This model is equipped with side curtain airbags which I understand were optional that year. Also A/C, LATCH, and tethers and shoulder belts in all three rear seats. I hear great things about car seat installs and it was listed on a review on the best cars for kids in car seats. I also hear it's possible to get three across depending on the seats. Plus the seat reclines and moves back a full 8 inches, and it still has a very generous trunk space. Comparable to the Rav4 in my books, however with much better seat belt placement.... plus the back seat is a flat bench, and the seat backs are also flat. Only downside is the non-removeable headrests which I hear can be compensated for by adjusting the seat angle.

The informed for life site doesn't mark this vehicle very highly but I wonder if this is the model with side airbags they tested?

Last edited:
ADS

livsmum

My SIL has an '07 and it's not bad. What I don't like, it's hard to see out of when backing up. That could be because I'm short though.

Installing seats in the back is easy. I've only installed a Nautilus but it was easy. I was browsing through the manual the other day and if you're using all seats of LATCH, one of them crosses over to a different LATCH than you'd think.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My sister has an '06 and I :love: hers (but obviously, I don't drive it much. ;)) I've done a few 3-acrosses. :thumbsup: One thing to note is that while it DOES have 3 sets of LATCH, it's not 3 sets of independent LATCH. The middle LATCH position is offset from centre. I can't remember to which side, but it's offset so it's entirely on the 60% portion of the 60/40 fold; so you could still have the 40% down with a child seat on the edge of the 60% part. Having it offset is useless, though. It means no one can sit on the other half of the 60% part with the carseat (nor can you have another seat installed there.) You might as well just put the seat in the outboard position. :scratcheshead:

The centre seatbelt is fine though, not offset. :thumbsup:

V

VanIsleMommy

thanks!! I totally agree on the lack of visabillity backing up. There are two big blind spots. I think an aftermarket back up camera might be a good idea.

I double checked the ratings, the not good scores were based on the model without side airbags. With side airbags it rates very highly for safety.

thanks for the note on the offset latch! at least the seatbelt will still work though. both kiddos will most likely be outboard anyway, but good to have the option.

for the headrest issue, this seems to only be an issue with the newer models. the '06 has headrests flush with the seat.

I test drove it and I don't love it, even a v6 felt sluggish and it's a little plastic... but as far as fitting our needs it will work nicely I think. I put an offer on it subject to DH's approval. The very sweet lady at the dealership was also a mom of a two year old in a car seat and helped me negotiate an excellent price on it :) It was nice to talk to someone who understands car seats!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC