Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Mazda5 Review

Senior Community Member mcomommy's Avatar

Re: Mazda5 Review

I have a 2007 and was able to get the radians in the middle row super easy with latch and seatbelt (not at the same time). I was also able to get them in the back seat, Oalthough now from others saying they can't I think I need to try again. I remember it being a good install. One thing I learned that helped with getting seats back there is I remove the headrest and then get the seat as tight as I can and then put the headrest back on and the seats stay tight. Then tether of course.
    E wife to J and homeschooling mommy to
    M 11 years in a seatbelt
    C 9 years in a Graco Affix BB
    O 7 years in a Graco Affix HBB
    H 3 years in a Chicco Nextfit

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

I now have an XTSL RF second row and love it. I managed to get it pretty upright (I have the seat in front of it up 1 click so it can be reclined a click and not touch). The first time I put it in was a bit of a challenge learning the tricks but I can now do it fairly easily (it helped once I realized the strap that holds the UAS strap was getting in the way). Now that I've done it a few times I can do it as fast as my MA so I'd say it's pretty easy.
    DS 06/2006 - Diono Monterey, Turbo Booster (for now - still shopping)
    DD 09/2008 - FF Marathon, Diono Monterey

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Has anyone put a Frontier in the third row?
    Yes, it's a good install but only with the long belt path.

Quote Originally Posted by mcomommy View Post
    I have a 2007 and was able to get the radians in the middle row super easy with latch and seatbelt (not at the same time). I was also able to get them in the back seat, Oalthough now from others saying they can't I think I need to try again. I remember it being a good install. One thing I learned that helped with getting seats back there is I remove the headrest and then get the seat as tight as I can and then put the headrest back on and the seats stay tight. Then tether of course.
    The problem with the Radian FF in the 3rd row is the front-to-back movement - you can get it rock-solid when you check side-to-side, but if you leave it at that and forget to check front-to-back, you could easily miss it. Checking front-to-back movement is done the same way as side-to-side: one hand, at the belt path, a light tug pulled directly forward. No matter what we've tried, we've been unable to get an install that doesn't result in the Radian's base slipping forward several inches at the lightest tug.

Also, the headrest is required to be on and down for 3rd row installs - it's one of the odd quirks of this vehicle, that the 3rd row headrest rules are different than the 2nd row. For the 2nd row, you route the tether under the headrest, for the 3rd row, you have to route the tether over the headrest. This is because the top part of the 3rd row seat backs isn't reinforced, so the headrest provides that reinforcement. (Don't feel bad - I didn't realize this until someone else pointed it out, too!)
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by jewlsvern View Post
    Defrost,
    Have you ever tried installing a EFTA in your Mazda 5? I really want to buy one but DH has my Mazda 5 in VA so I can't try it out. If so how did it install in the 2nd row.
    I know this was posted a while ago, but thought I would respond in case anyone else was wondering.
    I have two ETFA's RF in the 2nd row captains chairs and they're in there rock solid. I was also able to get a good recline angle with my newborn and still have leg room. I've since put them more upright and they're in there wonderfully.
    I have two kids. One is big, one is little. They both ride rear facing.

Senior Community Member mcomommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Yes, it's a good install but only with the long belt path.

The problem with the Radian FF in the 3rd row is the front-to-back movement - you can get it rock-solid when you check side-to-side, but if you leave it at that and forget to check front-to-back, you could easily miss it. Checking front-to-back movement is done the same way as side-to-side: one hand, at the belt path, a light tug pulled directly forward. No matter what we've tried, we've been unable to get an install that doesn't result in the Radian's base slipping forward several inches at the lightest tug.

Also, the headrest is required to be on and down for 3rd row installs - it's one of the odd quirks of this vehicle, that the 3rd row headrest rules are different than the 2nd row. For the 2nd row, you route the tether under the headrest, for the 3rd row, you have to route the tether over the headrest. This is because the top part of the 3rd row seat backs isn't reinforced, so the headrest provides that reinforcement. (Don't feel bad - I didn't realize this until someone else pointed it out, too!)
    Yeah I knew about the head rest and when I install I always put it back on all the way down and tether over it. I can just get it tighter without so much front to back movement if I take it out first tighten the seat and then shove it back in there.
    E wife to J and homeschooling mommy to
    M 11 years in a seatbelt
    C 9 years in a Graco Affix BB
    O 7 years in a Graco Affix HBB
    H 3 years in a Chicco Nextfit

Test drove an 09 today and just wanted to post pics of the cargo space. I was barely able to fit a Maclaren Triumph.

Also, I installed a Roundabout in the 2nd row passenger side and 3rd row driver side although I'm not sure it was done properly. I have a picture of the seat in the 2nd row only.