Another WWYD new car thread

Brianna

Thank you to everybody who responded to my other thread.

I'm thinking at this point that I just really want a car that looks and sounds nice. I can grow up in a few years :cool: but for now why not just drive a car that screams fun?

I've recently discovered I :love: the look of Mitsubishi Lancers, and I'd love any and all comments you can share. Stats for the 09 Lancer ES (auto) http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/lancer/2009/features-specs.html?sub=sedan&ps=used&style=100990386 and one that caught my eye, but is nearly 2 hours away http://btauto.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=138677455#

Good news is that there is a lap/shoulder belt and headrests for all 3 back seats :thumbsup: It's more than what I have saved now but I'm feeling extremely impulsive and may borrow the money from my other saving's accounts. Unless of course this is a horrible car and you're all about to bring me back to earth :whistle:

ADS

New grandma

I don't know that model, but have to say that out of all my cars, my Mitsubishi Montero Sport was my absolute favorite. Went over 220,000 miles with just upkeep maintenance.

The Lancer is known for having a... cheaper... interior than others even in this "economy" class. The main complaint is the CVT transmission like P1Ally said. I don't recall a single CVT that is liked, whether from Mitsubishi or any other company. They drone and it feels odd if you're used to regular autos or manuals. Plus, even tho it's supposed to help gas mileage, apparently it gets lower than you'd expect mileage.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hmm, the Prius has a CVT, FWIW, presumably to help mpg in it. I think it really depends on the specific CVT used in the specific vehicle model as to reliability. I'm not at all knowledgeable about the CVT used in the Lancer, but I wouldn't touch a first gen. Saturn Vue 4 cyl. with a CVT with a 10,000 ft. pole due to that particular model's reputation for CVT failure. :( Anyhoo, I mainly wanted to link the OP to a prior thread about difficulties with installs in the 2008/2009 Lancer (assuming a 2008 is similar to a 2009 but I haven't confirmed that for certain mind you, and the prior thread has owners of both model years discussing their difficulties) due to bolstering of the vehicle seats: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=172389

V

VanIsleMommy

I can't comment on the car since I'm not familiar with it, but one thing to consider before you pull money from your savings.

If you invest money into a car, it's only going to devalue over time. It's not like real estate where if you invest money in it down the road it's going to be worth more, or putting into savings or a low risk investment account where you're going to earn interest.

DH bought a brand new vehicle 11 years ago that was top notch, loaded with features etc. That $40,000+ vehicle 11 years later is worth $10,000 max (trade in is only worth about $7,000). When you add together the interest he paid on the loan, what he could have earned investing that money instead of buying a fancy vehicle, and the devaluation of the car (not to mention the increased insurance payments for a higher value vehicle...) it's a lot of money!

I understand where you're coming from, but later on in life you may wish you had put more into retirement savings, kids college funds, or real estate etc instead of that car. But don't take my word, go talk to a financial advisor to run the numbers! ;)

Brianna

Hmm, the Prius has a CVT, FWIW, presumably to help mpg in it. I think it really depends on the specific CVT used in the specific vehicle model as to reliability. I'm not at all knowledgeable about the CVT used in the Lancer, but I wouldn't touch a first gen. Saturn Vue 4 cyl. with a CVT with a 10,000 ft. pole due to that particular model's reputation for CVT failure. :( Anyhoo, I mainly wanted to link the OP to a prior thread about difficulties with installs in the 2008/2009 Lancer (assuming a 2008 is similar to a 2009 but I haven't confirmed that for certain mind you, and the prior thread has owners of both model years discussing their difficulties) due to bolstering of the vehicle seats: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=172389

The design changed in 08 so I'm pretty sure 09 is the same, but I don't need a 3 across. Thanks for finding the thread though.

I can't comment on the car since I'm not familiar with it, but one thing to consider before you pull money from your savings.

If you invest money into a car, it's only going to devalue over time. It's not like real estate where if you invest money in it down the road it's going to be worth more, or putting into savings or a low risk investment account where you're going to earn interest.

DH bought a brand new vehicle 11 years ago that was top notch, loaded with features etc. That $40,000+ vehicle 11 years later is worth $10,000 max (trade in is only worth about $7,000). When you add together the interest he paid on the loan, what he could have earned investing that money instead of buying a fancy vehicle, and the devaluation of the car (not to mention the increased insurance payments for a higher value vehicle...) it's a lot of money!

I understand where you're coming from, but later on in life you may wish you had put more into retirement savings, kids college funds, or real estate etc instead of that car. But don't take my word, go talk to a financial advisor to run the numbers! ;)

Thanks! I'm within my financial advisor's guidelines, the car is less than 50% of my gross yearly pay and I'm contributing more than the recommended 15% to my retirement accounts. Plus I figure if I'm going to blow money on a car it may as well be before I have kids :whistle:

The Lancer is known for having a... cheaper... interior than others even in this "economy" class. The main complaint is the CVT transmission like P1Ally said. I don't recall a single CVT that is liked, whether from Mitsubishi or any other company. They drone and it feels odd if you're used to regular autos or manuals. Plus, even tho it's supposed to help gas mileage, apparently it gets lower than you'd expect mileage.

Looks like I need to go for a test drive before I decide how much I really like this car then. I'm driving a beater now with only a radio and cassette player so anything really will be an upgrade!

Melanie

I get not wanting to drive a responsible mom-mobile type of car. We got a small coupe for DH's commuter even though we have 2 in car seats and our family of 5 won't all fit. Kids are obviously very rarely in it.

Like previously said, some of the CVT transmissions have had problems. Maybe enough to keep away from until they are more proven?

I'd recommend checking with your insurance company on the cost of this car vs another. When I worked in insurance (6+ yrs ago), the Lancer's had much higher rates compared to other comparably priced cars. Their "typical" driver was young and bought it for the power, resulting in more accidents and claims.

I don't know how much they are, but I was recently in a Honda Accord Coupe and it was beautiful. It looked nothing like the family 4-door Accord.

Brianna

Looking at just removing my current car and adding a Lancer, the premium increases $30 for the 6 month coverage period. Because my current car is a beater I don't have collision or comprehensive, adding those increases my 6 month premium by another $246. Does this sound reasonable?

Melanie

Looking at just removing my current car and adding a Lancer, the premium increases $30 for the 6 month coverage period. Because my current car is a beater I don't have collision or comprehensive, adding those increases my 6 month premium by another $246. Does this sound reasonable?

It doesn't sound out of line. That's good that it wouldn't be crazy high.

hjal05

CVT is a continous variable transmission. Another words you don't hear it shift at all it's also belt driven. We had a 07 Ford Freestyle with one. At 90,000 miles the transmission went out and a new one was over 6,000 dollars plus labor. So I ended up with a new car. Dh will not even look at a car with one in it now. As soon as he see's CVT he runs the other way.

Crake

CVT's are a new technology, so they are still in the "working out the kinks" phase IMO. Like others said, it is different for each model. Are you opposed to a manual transmission? I find them more fun and engaging to drive, and it also prevents me from answering my phone while driving (I drive all city miles). They generally require a bit less maintenance and get a little better gas mileage as a bonus. Back to the lancer, it is a "cheap" car, interior wise, even the souped-up evolution has the same cheap feeling interior. That is about the only negative aspect I can think of off the top of my head.

Brianna

Thanks Crake!

I've tried to learn how to drive a standard, and it's only ended in tears. Not to mention how anxious I get driving in the snow, I need both hands on the wheel.

I test drove a Malibu last week and I really like it, I still have a few more cars to test drive before I make any decisions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC