Question Good gas milage?

Mama2theD

I currently have a 2011 chevy equinox and love it but do not love it's gas milage. It's not terrible-23/24 but I had a corolla before so I got a bit spoiled from it lol. Is there anything this size or larger that you know has good safety ratings and features ( tta, headrests etc...) and fits seats well? Preferably an suv. I only have one seat right now (my 20 month old son rf in an xtsl) but travel a lot so cargo space is important too. Any one familiar w the milage of the traverse? I'm assuming it's worse. I also likes the venza but know it got lower crash ratings then the equinox.

ADS

Mags462

I think anything larger will definitely cut in to your mpg.... the 23/24 is that around town? highway? If its around town that is really good for a V6 anything!

I have a Sienna - and running the AC at full blast i only get 16/17 around town..... yeah it stinks considering i used to drive an Altima, but well it cannot be beat in terms of convenience.

My MIL has an Escape - which is basically the Ford version of what you are driving and her mileage is very similar. So i would expect any mid size SUV to be about the same.

Honestly the only large SUV that i would think about driving is a Honda Pilot, which has top tethers galore but as with every 3rd row option SUV i have ever seen when you put that third row up you have little to no cargo area.

It sounds like for your needs a newer model Oddysey or Sienna might work. My neighbor has a 2007 Oddy and gets 19 mpg around town with it. The sienna just has a LOT of glass and if you look at how much it weighs it actually is only a few hundred pounds shy of an extended cab pick up truck in terms of the weight of it! :eek: And it only has a v6 pulling it around which most trucks will have a v8 with more power. My friend has a brand new 2011 Oddy and gets about 21mpg around town.... she loves it. The gas mileage alone makes me want to trade up! Lol... but alas mine is paid off and i detest car payments so i will keep mine and just walk more, drive less ;)

Good luck on your search!

Bigger = lower gas mileage. Simple physics.

And driving a SUV makes things worse (you're better off with a wagon in both gas mileage and cargo space compared to a SUV).

Unless you tow, you pick a SUV for looks. If you want practicality (mileage, cargo space, etc), go with a different type of vehicle.

Nothing wrong with picking a vehicle based on looks. It's just that as parents, we tend to give up looks a bit (some of us anyways) and go more for practicality cuz with kids, we just value more anything that makes life easier/cheaper.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC