VBS Frustrations!

abckidsmom

Our church is having VBS this week. I'm helping with the registration, which is a bunch of tables out front, right by the parking lot. I can not TELL you how many minivans I've seen bring 8-10 kids to church. I want to scream and ask the police to set a check point at the end of the driveway.

One woman was lining up 8 kids to walk them out to the parking lot. I said, "you must have a pretty big car, huh?" She said, "We'll be double-buckled for a few miles until we drop some of these kids off."

Yikes! A comfortable, easy word all ready for describing the situation. I want the kids to come to church, but I'd rather they came safely!

ADS

amy919

I can totally relate. When I drop the girls off in the morning, there is this guy who pulls up in this old old busted minivan. He drives me crazy because he parks right across from the school in the fire lane. He slides open the door and a sea of kids come pouring out. They run across the parking lot, never paying attention to traffic (our school is the same shopping center as a Home Depot and there is a lot of traffic in the mornings with the contractors picking up supplies). He moseys on across the street, lets the kids in (the school security system is fingerprint recognition, so he has to) and walks back to his van. No good-bye, no have a nice day, nothing. It's totally bizarre and the kids are SO obnoxious. I swear there are like 8 of them in the van.

Amy

lynsgirl

Our church is having VBS this week. I'm helping with the registration, which is a bunch of tables out front, right by the parking lot. I can not TELL you how many minivans I've seen bring 8-10 kids to church. I want to scream and ask the police to set a check point at the end of the driveway.

One woman was lining up 8 kids to walk them out to the parking lot. I said, "you must have a pretty big car, huh?" She said, "We'll be double-buckled for a few miles until we drop some of these kids off."

Yikes! A comfortable, easy word all ready for describing the situation. I want the kids to come to church, but I'd rather they came safely!

And here my kids were so bummed about missing VBS this year :p . I, for one, was relieved that our church doesn't have it this year, even though I know I could easily find a church doing one that they could go to. Our church in SC is HUGE and sounds like the organized chaos for registration you're talking about. I think I would probably feel the need to commit myself somewhere if I was helping with registration and seeing everyone come and go :eek: . I felt exhausted enough just being a teacher hehehehe.

Here's some cyber Valium to get you through the week {handing over}:thumbsup: and lots of ((hugs)).

Last edited:

Simplysomething

Well, don't ya know, there is a magic aura surrounded the kids if they are going to church...lol

Seriously though--maybe you could print out some car-safety stuff and give them to the kids directly.

(And yes, lynsgirl, you could find a church that has it, in fact, I'm sure if you wanted to, you could find a different church each week, until Labor Day. :D )

Jewels

Senior Community Member
gawd, the acronyms on this board are out of control! ;)

Yep, I hear you sometimes I have to look them up but VBS is called VBS all the time. I grew up going to VBS at my Grandma's church. That is what we called it, we never said we were going to Vacation Bible School we went to VBS :)

lynsgirl

(And yes, lynsgirl, you could find a church that has it, in fact, I'm sure if you wanted to, you could find a different church each week, until Labor Day. )

:D Oh, I know! But the kids don't know that :cool: .

skaterbabs

Yep, I hear you sometimes I have to look them up but VBS is called VBS all the time. I grew up going to VBS at my Grandma's church. That is what we called it, we never said we were going to Vacation Bible School we went to VBS :)

Us too. It's always been VBS.

Simplysomething

I've always called it Vacation Bible School, but I think that's partly because I'm not a church goer. My family that is, they refer to it as VBS. Because they talk about it more than me (does that make sense? )

abckidsmom

Well, don't ya know, there is a magic aura surrounded the kids if they are going to church...lol

Seriously though--maybe you could print out some car-safety stuff and give them to the kids directly.

(And yes, lynsgirl, you could find a church that has it, in fact, I'm sure if you wanted to, you could find a different church each week, until Labor Day. :D )

And, I just learned that the carseat laws are changing in VA on July 1. Age 8 or 4'9", so I asked the director and I get to give each of the kids a handout tomorrow. 180 kids, so maybe a few of the parents will read it.

Lots of these kids are going to be going back into boosters, our law was age 6 or 60 lbs, I think.

Suzibeck

Our church used to do something kind of like VBS, but we called it something else. A couple of years ago, we were under contruction so they held it someplace else. But, the church drove vans to transport kids dropped off at the church, because there wasn't parking for parents to drop off at the site. The vans had lapbelts only. :eek: In MI kids can be in a lapbelt only at age 4 and since all the kids going to this "camp" were K and over, they were legal.

I told the director this was unsafe and a lawsuit waiting to happen. I transported my own kids. I only signed them up because they were supposed to use a school bus to transport. When I double checked the day before they started, I found out about the vans. I was so mad! God doesn't promise nothing bad will happen to us, He just promises to be with us as we go through it. He will let us suffer the consequences of our stupidity. Fortunately, there were no accidents and everyone was safe.

Simplysomething

And, I just learned that the carseat laws are changing in VA on July 1. Age 8 or 4'9", so I asked the director and I get to give each of the kids a handout tomorrow. 180 kids, so maybe a few of the parents will read it.

Lots of these kids are going to be going back into boosters, our law was age 6 or 60 lbs, I think.

I don't believe the new law has a height requirement built into it, it's just up to age 8. A height requirement might be better.
The current law is only to age six, with no weight requirement. (Prior to that, it was a 4/40 law).

Loves2sing

God doesn't promise nothing bad will happen to us, He just promises to be with us as we go through it. He will let us suffer the consequences of our stupidity.

So many of my friends at church tell me that God is in control no matter what seat my kids are in. And yes that's true. But he also gave us free will, and he makes us deal with the consequences of our decisions. I wish my friends could understand that!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC