suv/wagon barriers while using top tether anchor?

bearwithmoi

Hi - I'm new here, but I am nut about carseat and car safety, so I think I'll fit right in. We're looking for a new car and of course I'm looking at all of the ratings. I was interested in the Subaru Outback wagon (we have a 70 lb dog and a 2-year-old), but if you want to use the Subaru cargo barrier, you can't use the top tether anchor! I've already had a long conversation with Subaru about this, but it seems unbelievable to me that the safety feature on a car would interfere with the safety feature of the carseat. When that's the case, how do you choose?

Does anyone know of any wagons/suvs that have crash-tested cargo barriers that do not interfere with top tether anchors? I've heard that Volvos do, but I'm not sold on a Volvo yet. I'd really like a wagon or suv, but would also like to be safe.

Thank you,

Sarah

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Would an option be a a harness type restrain for the dog? or maybe crated while in the car and the crate tied down? we only were briefed on pet safety in cars durring our CPSTech class only b/c our instructor is a HUGE pet lover! LOL
Is the barrier meshed like a cage type? i would think you could just tread the tethere trough it and hook it? I don't know though??? Hummm maybe others will jump in, i'll check out my LATCH manual to see if it mentions the barriers and top tethers for that car...

bearwithmoi

Well we're not opposed to a Volvo, but they are expensive. We currently have a '92 Volvo and my husband is so sick of it I'm afraid that he won't look at it with any positive feelings. He's tall and the headroom doesn't tend to be great. So I just wanted to know if there are other options out there. Thanks!

twokidstwodogs

why aren't you sold on a volvo? top of the safety ratings, and you can get one in a nice wagon model (V70).

Actually, the Subies generally do better on the safety front than the Volvo wagons and sedans as a group (though the IIHS has not seen fit to test an Outback--why, I don't know.) I considered buying a V50 when I bought my Legacy, but the Legacy was far enough ahead of the Volvo wagon pack for crash test ratings that it wasn't even a serious question, especially given the price and reliability concerns. I was also a little worried about those pesky Volvo headrests for seat installation.

The cargo barrier thing is annoying, though. It's possible Volvo does better on that front. I have the same issue with my Legacy wagon, except I have two kids and two 70 lb dogs. I have not satisfactorily resolved it, and probably won't worry about it again until the fall, as my dogs rarely travel with me in the car during the summer. But it's definitely an issue.

Edited to add: I would have liked those pretensioners on the Volvo rear seatbelts, though!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC