More Van Help Please!!

Chely7425

So, follow up from my other thread... I went and looked at the Sienna today. 97K miles, built in DVD players (good for the 1 FFer, not so much for the RFers :p), clean interior, clean carfax. I *think* it would be worth taking it to the mechanic to give it a once over? Right? Or am I crazy for considering a vehicle that age/with that many miles..

ADS

P1ally

So, follow up from my other thread... I went and looked at the Sienna today. 97K miles, built in DVD players (good for the 1 FFer, not so much for the RFers :p), clean interior, clean carfax. I *think* it would be worth taking it to the mechanic to give it a once over? Right? Or am I crazy for considering a vehicle that age/with that many miles..

How much was it again? Is it through a dealership or private party? I would consider that too many miles for me personally, but then again, it IS a toyota. An inspection should only cost about $50-100? Couldn't hurt. If you decide to pass on it, there will be others at that price, they just take a while to pop up.

Chely7425

It is 9K. 97K miles is pretty typical for a 2005.. if the average is 15K a year, and it is a little over 6 years old (based on when it was purchased originally), so it seems like anything in that year range (05-07, what it seems we can afford) is going to have more than 60K miles. Having the Toyota mechanic look it over will cost 60 dollars.

Chely7425

Also, they HAD it listed for 10K last month, I assume they lowered it because it wasn't selling. Vans are NOT popular down here, at all. Even NEW ones, most dealerships have 1, MAYBE 2 on the lot at all. It took my friends 4 months to get their newer (2009/2010) one because they couldn't FIND one anywhere. Looking on cars.com and auto trader it seems that this pricing isn't THAT far off what seems to be typical down here...

Mags462

Do it! ;) I assume with a DVD player its an XLE model.....

What about the timing belt? That is my only concern.... otherwise i see no issues with it. My 2005 has 96K and zero issues. My parents have driven toyotas since the 80's - every single one of them has reached 200K miles with out any problems but the typical routine maintenance.

Mags462

oh and knowing they are slow sellers i would push them on price.... the longer that thing sits on the lot the longer it costs the dealer money..... see if you can get it down to 8K ;)

Chely7425

I am assuming it is going to need the timing belt replaced, I will specifically mention that and the water pump tomorrow when I take it to the mechanic at the Toyota dealership :)

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Don't know if you are dead set on a Toyota but the Kia Sedona is similar to the Sienna. (Smaller) I despirately wanted a Sienna but found that I could get a much newer with 20k miles for a cheaper price than the Sienna. It also had excellent crash test ratings and was super car seat installation friendly. ;)

Chely7425

I did want a Sedona... there are NONE down here. None. I found 1 that was 2006 or newer, in our price range and it was 275 miles away... similar miles and price to the Sienna (which we did end up buying)...

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
In addition to the timing belt, the other big 100,000 mile item is usually struts. They typically start to show wear closer to 120-150K, but it's not uncommon for them to start leaking/causing tire wear closer to 100K, especially on a heavier van. That's a good $1200, so keep that in mind budget-wise too!

Chely7425

In addition to the timing belt, the other big 100,000 mile item is usually struts. They typically start to show wear closer to 120-150K, but it's not uncommon for them to start leaking/causing tire wear closer to 100K, especially on a heavier van. That's a good $1200, so keep that in mind budget-wise too!

Yup, I know :) They checked the struts today, and I will ask them to check them again when we get the other things fixed. We know it will need some bigger ticket items in the future, that is just what happens when you drive an older car.

henrietta

Yup, I know :) They checked the struts today, and I will ask them to check them again when we get the other things fixed. We know it will need some bigger ticket items in the future, that is just what happens when you drive an older car.

Have to giggle...sorry...."older car". :D

I've never had anything newer than what I have now...a 1997 Town and Country. LOL (177,000+ miles)

Hubby has a '98 Passat. (176,000+ miles)

Enjoy your new van! :)

henrietta

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Have to giggle...sorry...."older car". :D

I've never had anything newer than what I have now...a 1997 Town and Country. LOL (177,000+ miles)

Hubby has a '98 Passat. (176,000+ miles)

Enjoy your new van! :)

henrietta

lol me too - my newest car is a 98!!

Chely7425

This is the first used vehicle we have ever bought... We had a 2003 Liberty that my mom bought me for graduation (new) and we traded that in for our truck (2006, new) and then we traded that in for our current Liberty (2010, new)... LOL

Chely7425

Thanks Maggie :) It is currently at the mechanics getting the stuff we know needs done so I can drive it!! I mean, I probably could have driven it anyway, but with DH deployed I didn't really want to chance that. I am nervous having it at a mechanic I don't "know" but everyone I asked from down here recommended them, including our total car guy friend... so hopefully it is all ok!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC