Opinions on Kia Rondo?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Trying (again ;)) to convince DH we need a new car. Rules are it must seat 6 or more. We've looked at the Mazda5 but feel it's this much >< too small. (Love the sliding doors, though.) Ford's new microvan is apparently the same size, not out yet, and right now we hate Ford. The minivans on the market are this much > < too big (especially Honda's, which we really like.)

The Rondo kind of meets our needs, and I think it would drive comparably to my sister's Equinox, which I love. Reputable car-site links would be great too!

TIA! :)

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
the rondo is WAY smaller than the 5. If the 5 is too small for you, the rondo will be also.
I have more to say, but....do I need to?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
So what is it you want? needs to seat 6+, and needs to be bigger than a 5, but smaller than a minivan? You want it to do your laundry too? :p :D

unityco

the rondo is WAY smaller than the 5.

You got stats on that? My preliminary research shows there's a small difference in cargo room (with the 3rd row down,) but the Rondo feels roomier for passengers. :confused:

Exterior dimensions show the Rondo about 2" shorter, but also 2" wider than the Mazda.

teekadog

You got stats on that? My preliminary research shows there's a small difference in cargo room (with the 3rd row down,) but the Rondo feels roomier for passengers. :confused:

Exterior dimensions show the Rondo about 2" shorter, but also 2" wider than the Mazda.

No Rondo experience, but it's the length of the 5 that makes it feel small, not the width. I love my 5, but cringe to think of an even shorter 6-pass. vehicle, and have never once thought, hmm, a wider 5 would be nice :shrug-shoulders:

unityco

I have more to say, but....do I need to?

Apparently, lol! We looked at one on the weekend, and DH is this close >< to pulling the trigger. :eek: We still need to look at a 5 again to compare them, but if you have anything else to say about the Rondo, I'd love to hear it!

It would seem 'too small' to me means, 6 passengers is not as good as 7. I really miss that 3-person bench when the third row is not in use (which for us, will be most of the time.) Also that touch of extra width in the Rondo makes that 3-person bench more livable. :shrug-shoulders:

Last edited:

teekadog

I really miss that 3-person bench when the third row is not in use (which for us, will be most of the time.) Also that touch of extra width in the Rondo makes that 3-person bench more livable. :shrug-shoulders:

Oh, I agree. If you want a 3-person bench, the Rondo is the way to go. We bought the 5 to get out of ever having to do a 3-across!

unityco

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if we own a Rondo by this time next week. :whistle: We drove the Caravan to a Kia dealer today, and wouldn't you know it sprung a coolant leak while we were there? :rolleyes: I told DH it was a sign. ;)

We looked at the 5 again today too. It just doesn't do it for me :shrug-shoulders: (though it did drive very similarly to my sister's Equinox, which I like, but so does the Rondo.) The 5's third row, with the second pushed all the way back is much less roomy than the Rondo's too (and the Rondo has no stipulation about having the second row fully back for carseats either.)

Please tell me if there's something big I'm missing! :cool:

unityco

How 'bout 2011 Rondo vs. 2009 Sienna? I hate to drive big vehicles (like a Sienna,) but I don't really drive anyway, so, meh? :shrug-shoulders: I might drive a Rondo like 1% of the time, but I would never drive the Sienna. Fuel economy isn't hugely different, and when we do have more than 5 passengers, we'd still have cargo room. :confused:

Better financing on the 2011 too. :cool:

Last edited:

Angela

I'm one of the few Rondo owners on here, so I'll give my opinion. :)
We have a 2007, but really nothing has really changed on them.
Pros
*Seats 7 with lots of leg and head room - My 6' tall torsoed DH can sit comfortably in the 3rd row.
*Cargo room is awesome! With the back row down, we can fit everything for a 2 week long trip for 3 of us, plus Christmas presents in there.
*Not a minivan - yeah, that was a selling point for us.
*Good fuel economy - We usually get about 23 around town and 28 highway with an automatic transmission. We're bummed we weren't able to get a manual, but it isn't available in the US (it is in Canada though).
*Roof rack (if needed)
*Bench for 3 across easily accessible - this was a big selling point for us. I hate the idea of having to climb to the back to get 3 kids in/out.

Cons - yeah there are a couple, but nothing major
*3 across can be tricky because of the 60/40 bench. I've done several 3 across combinations, but it can be a little work. The 40 part of the bench has a wider seatbelt width than the 60 part, so pretty much anything can fit there, but the other side is a tight fit.
*No tethers 3rd row - it works great for boosters though and easy for the kiddos to climb over either seat, or if just one booster is back there, the 2nd seat can be folded down and they get out that way.

I have fit 5 car seats in there, but it depends on what you'll need (rf/ff/booster) to fit. I have a couple posts on the 3 across thread. Personally, we LOVE it and it works great for us. We also compared it to the Mazda 5. The Rondo just fit our needs better and I wouldn't want it any other way. Reliability wise we haven't had any issues. We've had to take it in for a couple of small things under warranty, but it really would've been for one thing, but our dealer is incompetent and messed up on that, so we had to take it in a few other times so they could fix what THEY did.

What seats would you need to get in there? Or are you just thinking about down the road?

unityco

Have you looked at a dodge journey? They have a 3rd row option & are quite roomy!

If we were going to go bigger than the Rondo/Mazda5, we'd just do a minivan I think; but I'll look into them, thanks! :)

I'm one of the few Rondo owners on here, so I'll give my opinion. :)...

What seats would you need to get in there? Or are you just thinking about down the road?

Thanks for your perspective! :) The passenger roominess was definitely better in the Rondo than the Mazda. I'm not anti-minivan, but I'm totally not comfortable driving bigger vehicles. The Rondo *just* rides that line between being too big to drive yet fitting 7 passengers. :thumbsup:

I *am* concerned about seats... it kept me up last night envisioning the different configurations I could use. :eek: Right now, we've got one in a booster, so that's no problem at all. I've got one on the way and he'll go into a SR35 to start (curious how that will fit in the 3rd, though that wouldn't be his primary spot...) He'll also (hopefully ;)) be RF for a while, so the lack of tethers back there isn't an issue for US right NOW, however, it's when I think about traveling with others I doubt the car. We've got friends with FF harnessed seats that are required (in Canada) to be tethered, so none of their children could ride in the back. One family in particular we travel with has a son DS's age (but is a peanut.) Ideally, the boys would go in the back, two adults would go in the middle, and two more adults in the front (when the baby arrives, I'd put him in the middle-middle. ;)) Obviously, that's not going to happen in a Rondo, but it's not like I can't fit everyone safely - just not as conveniently as I'd like. I'm considering drafting a persuasive letter to Kia to convince them to come up with a retrofit similar to the late-model Caravan's for third row tethers. Anyone want to help with that? :whistle:

ETA: The other thing keeping me up was where to put a stroller if we're carrying 6+ people. I have a small umbrella that would *probably* fit in the tiny cargo space, but baby won't be ready for that for a while. I had thought throwing one on the floor of the third row, at the kids feet, would work, but only if no adults were back there (good for my kids, but not if we've got any FFers with us.) Anything on the floor of the second row would be awkward for ingress/egress, regardless of who's sitting there. :scratcheshead:

Last edited:

supermommyof2

I'm in a hurry to get to swimming lessons so I haven't read everything, but I have an opinion ;)

We have a 2010 Rondo. For fitting 6 and regular use, honestly, I wouldn't recomend it if a minivan is at all possible. We're stuck in a bad financial position and a Rondo was our only option. I REALLY miss the Sienna we couldn't keep :(

I'm quite sure you won't fit an umbrella stroller on the floor in the 3rd row or behind the 3rd row. I don't have one to try but I'm pretty sure it won't fit lengthways. I had a Chicco Ct 0.1 and it was too long. I keep a Zapp on the floor in the second row, it fits between the door and the far side of the center console leaving foot room for only one position.

I haven't found a rfing seat that fits in the 3rd row. I tried a KF (handle up, with and without the base) and a CA. Even with the second row all the way forward neither base even made full contact with the seat.

I don't have any more time right now, but if you have any more questions, I'll be back this afternoon.

Angela

If we were going to go bigger than the Rondo/Mazda5, we'd just do a minivan I think; but I'll look into them, thanks! :)

Thanks for your perspective! :) The passenger roominess was definitely better in the Rondo than the Mazda. I'm not anti-minivan, but I'm totally not comfortable driving bigger vehicles. The Rondo *just* rides that line between being too big to drive yet fitting 7 passengers. :thumbsup:

I *am* concerned about seats... it kept me up last night envisioning the different configurations I could use. :eek: Right now, we've got one in a booster, so that's no problem at all. I've got one on the way and he'll go into a SR35 to start (curious how that will fit in the 3rd, though that wouldn't be his primary spot...) He'll also (hopefully ;)) be RF for a while, so the lack of tethers back there isn't an issue for US right NOW, however, it's when I think about traveling with others I doubt the car. We've got friends with FF harnessed seats that are required (in Canada) to be tethered, so none of their children could ride in the back. One family in particular we travel with has a son DS's age (but is a peanut.) Ideally, the boys would go in the back, two adults would go in the middle, and two more adults in the front (when the baby arrives, I'd put him in the middle-middle. ;)) Obviously, that's not going to happen in a Rondo, but it's not like I can't fit everyone safely - just not as conveniently as I'd like. I'm considering drafting a persuasive letter to Kia to convince them to come up with a retrofit similar to the late-model Caravan's for third row tethers. Anyone want to help with that? :whistle:

ETA: The other thing keeping me up was where to put a stroller if we're carrying 6+ people. I have a small umbrella that would *probably* fit in the tiny cargo space, but baby won't be ready for that for a while. I had thought throwing one on the floor of the third row, at the kids feet, would work, but only if no adults were back there (good for my kids, but not if we've got any FFers with us.) Anything on the floor of the second row would be awkward for ingress/egress, regardless of who's sitting there. :scratcheshead:

Okay, to answer a couple questions. :) 3rd row is dinky. The only rf seat I've been able to fit (and I've tried MANY) is the Coccoro. It fits perfectly. Boosters fit REALLY well back there, but yes, ff seats are out (especially since you're in Canada). As for fitting 2 boosters, 4 adults, and an infant in there - it's doable, but a bit uncomfortable. If you have the baby in the SS1+2 adults in the 2nd row, the SS1 would need to go outboard. It's too wide for the middle seat in the middle row. One seat that fits perfectly in that middle seat is the My Ride due to it's really narrow base.

Stroller room - I have a Mac Quest that fits perfectly behind the 3rd row. I can also get the twin triumph back there, but no one can sit in the 3rd row since you have to put the seats in the complete upright position. I've also fit the Britax Preview stroller back there. You just have the find the right stroller to fit the space. I'm not sure if many strollers would fit between the 2nd and 3rd rows because the 3rd row is right between the wheel wells, so not a whole lot of space side to side, but you could technically put the adults back there (it really isn't too bad) and put the kids and stroller in the 2nd row. I've sat in the 3rd row several times for a 3 hour trip comfortably and my parents have ridden back there on several occasions for up to about 2 hours.

Hopefully that helped with a few of your concerns. Truly, I LOVE it, but it isn't for everyone. Just depends on what you're looking and what you like.

unityco

I REALLY miss the Sienna we couldn't keep :(

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I'm really quite torn on the mini vs. microvan thing. It really just hinges on the fact I WON'T drive a minivan, but in reality I'll hardly drive a microvan either 'cause I just don't drive in the city. DH doesn't care what size of vehicle he drives. :shrug-shoulders: The extra space of the mini would be nice, but it takes my ever driving it out of the equation.

I'm quite sure you won't fit an umbrella stroller on the floor in the 3rd row or behind the 3rd row.

Stroller room - I have a Mac Quest that fits perfectly behind the 3rd row.

Good to know! My cheapie umbroller is smaller than that, so it's relieving that I've got that option at least! The Quest is bigger than the Volo, right? So my Volo would likely fit too? :)

I've sat in the 3rd row several times for a 3 hour trip comfortably and my parents have ridden back there on several occasions for up to about 2 hours.

That's the thing, I found the 3rd quite reasonable; I'd still rather put kids back there, since they'll mostly be plugged in and the adults will most likely want to converse, but for the few times we'll drive like that, we can deal. :thumbsup:

Bummer, but not surprising, about RFing in the 3rd row (especially since the Cocorro's not available in Canada.) Did either of you try with the second row pulled up at all? Your middle-middle seat report is disappointing too. :(

Thanks, ladies. :)

Last edited:

Angela

Yep, the Volo should fit well. The 3rd row issues are because of how the 2nd row leans back. I can only get the Coccoro in if the 2nd row is pushed up all the way. Let me see if I can find some pictures and I can post them. I'll see if I can find some pics of that middle seat too.

Angela

Found Marathonmama's 3 across. Her and I have had some nice discussions about it. :) It looks like she was able to get a SR35 in that center seat! :) Here's the link:
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1400798&postcount=459
The measurement for that middle seat is about 10.5", so not very wide. If you have another seat beside it, it makes it even 'smaller'. That's why I really like the My Ride right there. The narrow base of it fits perfectly. One other issue we have is that you have to twist belt stalks, they're really long.

Pictures:
Coccoro in the 3rd row - I know you don't have them up there, but thought you might like to see how it fits room wise. I've also tried to put taller seats back there, but they just don't clear the seat in front.

DSCF0776.jpg

2nd row space between the belts on the 60 part.

DSCF1586.jpg

One reason why it's hard to get 3 across (especially with a rf Radian). This plastic part sticks up into the seat, so it takes a bit of seat room out.

DSCF1587.jpg

How I situate it when I have a ff seat and 2 boosters. I feel better having the 60 part folded down because of head excursion with boosters, plus it makes it really easy for them to get in and out. :)

DSCF1585.jpg

Last but not least, the Quest behind the 3rd row. It looks like the wheels stick out too much, but that's what I was meaning by you have to make it more compact. The door pushes the wheels in, pushing the stroller into a tighter fold. If that makes any sense.

DSCF1119.jpg

unityco

Pictures...

Those are great, thanks! I wish I could take it for a baby gear test drive. I don't have my strollers here (my sisters out west have them) nor do I have an infant seat yet, and I don't think the dealer's going to let me take it to BRU to play, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC