Balance bike for a small 5 year old?

Meg

My son's 5th birthday is next month and he wants a balance bike. I can't find any places around here to try them out, so I'm going to have to order one online.

I've narrowed it down to either a Strider, Kazam, or a Mini Glider. Since my son is already 5, it seems like he might already be outgrowing most balance bikes (like the strider?). He is 41 inches tall and 16inches from crotch to ground. For size reference, we tried tried regular bikes at the store and he could fit on a 14in bike with just his toes touching the ground.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much! :D

ADS

ctbcleveland

My small 4 year old is really enjoying his strider. Strider also sells a longer seat post for not much money if you need extra length. Don't know anything about the other brands.

If you search my posts, I've posted a link that shows which balance bike will fit which kids. I am busy at work now, so I can't search. I think it was in response to something in the community section.

Dillipop

My 5 yo uses his strider daily. We have the longer seat post for it and he still has room to move it up. He's around 42 or 43 inches.

mommy2env

I bought my dd2 and nephew a Mini Glider last year. They were 3 and about to turn 4. They LOVE them. Like seriously love them. lol Everyone asks us about them when they see them riding.

My dd will be 5 in a couple of months, and uses a size 6 in pants. It still works fine with her. My nephew on the other hand, is a peanut. He will be 5 in November, but still fits in size 4 pants lenghtwise, and 3T waist. lol

He fits in it fine, and we've actually had to raise his seat recently. lol

Meg

If you search my posts, I've posted a link that shows which balance bike will fit which kids. I am busy at work now, so I can't search. I think it was in response to something in the community section.
Thanks! I'll search to find the thread!

My 5 yo uses his strider daily. We have the longer seat post for it and he still has room to move it up. He's around 42 or 43 inches.
You don't have a picture, do you? If not, no big deal. ;) What makes me nervous is that there are youtube videos of little 18 month olds riding Striders, so I was worried the bike would be outgrown too quickly for my 5 year old.

We were talking about bikes at feeding group today. The OT suggested taking the petals off to make your balance bike.
We tried this and it was not successful. Lol. Our neighbor gave us her son's old bike, so we took the pedals off to see if would work like a balance bike, but it just didn't. Regular bikes are just too heavy, so my son couldn't balance the bike at all. Balance bikes are 6-10lbs, where regular bikes are more like 15-20lbs.

I bought my dd2 and nephew a Mini Glider last year. They were 3 and about to turn 4. They LOVE them. Like seriously love them. lol Everyone asks us about them when they see them riding.

My dd will be 5 in a couple of months, and uses a size 6 in pants. It still works fine with her. My nephew on the other hand, is a peanut. He will be 5 in November, but still fits in size 4 pants lengthwise, and 3T waist. lol

Thanks so much! My son only wears a size 4T, so it sounds like the Glider would definitely work then.

Dillipop

You don't have a picture, do you? If not, no big deal. ;) What makes me nervous is that there are youtube videos of little 18 month olds riding Striders, so I was worried the bike would be outgrown too quickly for my 5 year old.

I don't have a current picture, but I can try to get one tomorrow or Thursday for you. DS is in a 4T pant as well.

Meg

I don't have a current picture, but I can try to get one tomorrow or Thursday for you. DS is in a 4T pant as well.

That would be awesome and there's no rush! My son's birthday isn't until 9/17, so I don't plan on ordering a bike for another few weeks. Thanks again!

solmama

I second (or third?) the Mini Glider. We have the Go Glider (16" version), which our ds uses (bought it for dd a couple of years ago). Thus far 4 kids have learned to ride a bike using our Go Glider (we've loaned it out twice).

We originally purchased the Kazam bike for our ds. I do like it, but I think the Mini/Go Glider is better made and a better design.

pastrygirl

Here's a good video of a 5-year-old with the taller seat for the Strider: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ZYigdBc1Q"]‪Big brother shows Strider running bike to little brother‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I ended up getting my younger son a Strider for his upcoming birthday, and also got the taller seat in case my 5-year-old wanted to ride it. It's working great for both of them! Now I want a second Strider. :eek:

You can also order different wheels. I talked to someone at Bikes That Teach and I'm pretty sure he said that if the Strider was solely for my older son, that I'd be better off with the air tires.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC