I'm just curious about something, not really serious

VLsMom

But whats the info on a Britax Two-way? I tried googling but all I got were websites in other languages. Is it true that is RF to 55 lbs?

I was reading on the "would you import an illegal seat..." thread and got curious.

Thank you - if you have an answer!

Maria

ADS

scatterbunny

Yes, the Swedish version really rear-faces to 55 pounds. :) I think there is another version that does not, however? Not clear on all the details. We have a poster from Norway (haven't seen in awhile, though) that knew quite a bit about it.

VLsMom

Wow, now that would be serious ERF!!

Any chance anyone has a pic of it? ... or a link to a pic? I can't navitage foreign language websites. :)

Last edited:

3acorns4Christy

I so wanted a swedish seat when we were in Germany. I loved to Romex seats that the German version of Britax makes, but then when we went to Holland I saw the Romex's from Sweden with a 6year old in the back RF! I wanted to follow them home and get one!!! We didn't make it to sweden though. I would import that seat in a hearbeat!

Jordynsmama

Why can't we use the seat here? It's just illegal b/c it isn't approved here? Why dont they approve them here the way they do in Germany? So really we could import the seat and use it right, it would just be "illegal"? Like any cop would even know or anything.
Just curious as to the risk of importing and using a rf seat to 55 lbs.

scatterbunny

Yes, it's illegal because they aren't tested to US standards, so we don't know if it would pass or fail. Gut instinct says it would pass with flying colors, but we don't know that, and without getting NHTSA approval it would be illegal to use one here.

It would be SO cool to still have Hayley rear-facing.

Jordynsmama

Then why dont we test it?? Why is britax different in diff countries. That is so weird. Why can't they have america test it and approve it? Obviously you dont have the answer:) but it seems so odd we wouldnt. Hmm.

3acorns4Christy

Why can't we use the seat here? It's just illegal b/c it isn't approved here? Why dont they approve them here the way they do in Germany? So really we could import the seat and use it right, it would just be "illegal"? Like any cop would even know or anything.

These seats aren't legal in Germany, Germans have their own carseat laws and testing. They are legal in Sweden and Norway.
Yes, you can import them but they are illegal and HUGE so may not even fit in American cars.

3acorns4Christy

I wish Britax was the same here. I LOVE their Romer seats for FF, awesome seats. I wanted one for the future but we didn't know what American seats were out there. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt. go too www.britax.com and click on the different countries some of the seats are definitly shocking.

oxeye

I seriously looked into it. From what I found, it appears the fine if you get caught would be $1000. The seat costs about $400 from the places I could find it. I didn't look into shipping costs. You also run the risk of it being confiscated by US customs when you import it if they realize it isn't a legal seat. :(

So with all that combined - risk of buying the seat and not even getting it, fines for using it - I decided against it. I really do wish it would just be slightly modified and then tested for the US market. It probably isn't profitable, though with how few people who would actually use it here.

VLsMom

I agree...that thing needs to get approved for the USA!!

That seatback is enormous and huge. Wow.

Thanks scatterbunny for the link to those pics.

jef

These seats aren't legal in Germany, Germans have their own carseat laws and testing. They are legal in Sweden and Norway.
Yes, you can import them but they are illegal and HUGE so may not even fit in American cars.

Since Germany is an EU country, it has to follow EU standards. The Swedish website states the seat is approved according the ECE R44 rev. 03 standard. That means it's allowed in every EU country, Germany included.

If the Regent (Husky) fits American cars why wouldn't this seat? Most European cars are smaller. Although those Swedish Volvo's could be an exception. But not everyone in Sweden drives a Volvo.

MsFacetious

I would not worry about it fitting in American cars I would worry about being able to install it. You need two tether anchor points. I know for a fact that this seat wouldn't work in most Honda's, Chevy Trailblazers, ect. If you can't tether a rear facing Britax in a car you couldn't use this seat either.

It's not huge, in fact it takes up far less space than a Boulevard. It's just the tether issue that might be a problem.

Also if the length of the vehicle seat isn't long enough you won't get that extra leg room. For example, in a Dodge Ram Quad Cab the back seat is huge. However the vehicle seats from front to back are not long enough to allow that extra leg room space. If that makes sense.

That would be the stuff I would consider. Oddly enough I know people who have ordered the seats and had them shipped and customs has never stopped the seats. They ordered them from a London company, also getting the instructions in English.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC