going to look at '05 dodge grand caravan in 20 minutes

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Anything special about this specific model year? My mom owned a '00 grand caravan a few years ago and I drove it more than she did. I know there's 2 full latch and another top tether anchor. I'm a little disappointed about this because I was able to retrofit 5 in the '00. Anything else to know carseat or safety wise? If we like it, we may buy it tonight.

Thanks!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The only things I can think of car seat wise is that the LWL latchplates have a tendency to slip (buckling backwards may or may not keep you from needing a LC) and if it has Gen3 seat belts (button sticks up above buckle casing) parts of some carseats may hit the button and unbuckle seats.

ZanesMom

I don't know much about them, but my mom has an '05 with over 320,000 miles on it. I don't think she's had too much out of the ordinary go wrong with her's, just on her 2nd transmission though.

luckyclov

That generation is known for transmission and brake issues. Just an FYI. I had an '05/'06 a few minivans ago and we had a few minor transmission leaks/broken seals/something like around 30,000. We replaced the brake pads twice in the 2 years we owned it, even though the vehicle was still under manufacturer warranty and clearly a premature wearing issue.:rolleyes:

Mine had a 2nd row bench, which I really liked. I don't remember having any installation issues, but I wasn't as savvy as I am now. The 2nd row bench had 2 full sets of LATCH. The 3rd row had no lower anchors, but maybe a top tether anchor. The center position of the 3rd row did not have a headrest or a shoulder belt.

ZanesMom

That generation is known for transmission and brake issues. Just an FYI. I had an '05/'06 a few minivans ago and we had a few minor transmission leaks/broken seals/something like around 30,000. We replaced the brake pads twice in the 2 years we owned it, even though the vehicle was still under manufacturer warranty and clearly a premature wearing issue.:roll eyes:

Good to know about the brakes. My mom thought she was having to replace her brakes more often due to the driving she does. She has to cross a mountain about 4 times a day, plus other various back/rural roads.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Well, we bought it. :) I'll be scouring the 3 across thread to find combinations of seats for the third row. Any idea if the amount of space is the same as the '00? The bench is cut in two so obviously it's not the same but maybe it's the same overall. If so, I already know some combos which worked before.

momtoo3

Well, we bought it. :) I'll be scouring the 3 across thread to find combinations of seats for the third row. Any idea if the amount of space is the same as the '00? The bench is cut in two so obviously it's not the same but maybe it's the same overall. If so, I already know some combos which worked before.

I have an 03 with the 50/50 bench. Mine has hard plastic pieces on the middle seat where the 2 pieces meet. It makes it really hard/impossible to put a RF seat there and get it to stay tight. I have tried a Scenera, Tribute, MR and TFP. Currently I have a FF Scenera in the middle with a PWSG on one side and a Big Kid backless on the other side. I have another 3rd row bench in the second row that is not a 50/50 fold and can get a RF MA70, RF Tribute and FF Graco CarGo. I can also change the MA70 for a TFP.

luckyclov

Good to know about the brakes. My mom thought she was having to replace her brakes more often due to the driving she does. She has to cross a mountain about 4 times a day, plus other various back/rural roads.
Oh yeah. It's a long-time issue that was even still an issue with the new generation of Chrysler minivans. I also had an '09 Grand Caravan (they redesigned them in '08) and we still had to replace the brakes before 20,000 miles. Fortunately, it had become such a widespread issue and complaint that Chrysler actually extended that portion of their warranty for the brakes and the brakes were covered under manufacturer warranty with a small deductible (for the new gen vans). There was a slight redesign in the '11 models and it'll be interesting to see if they've FINALLY corrected the premature wearing issue.

ericarizo

I have on 05 Grand Caravan and it has Captains chairs with full LATCH and the 3rd row bench has a TA in middle position only. I can fit a FR85 in the 3rd row middle and 2 XTSL's on each side. :) Good luck.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I have on 05 Grand Caravan and it has Captains chairs with full LATCH and the 3rd row bench has a TA in middle position only. I can fit a FR85 in the 3rd row middle and 2 XTSL's on each side. :) Good luck.

That's good to hear. It does sound like it's the same size. I could fit a regent with a radian on either side in the '00.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Not sure of your seats but I got a TB, ff ma, & seat belt back there last year. Mine was an 05 too.

Thanks! I haven't bought most of the seats yet. I have an evenflo chase and a parkway SG. The infant seat I want is the Lamaze Via and I'll probably buy two convertibles because I'm going to be doing daycare.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC