Do you "ignore" the CA manual?

U

Unregistered

What I mean by this is did you install more upright and use past 36 inches my DS is all legs and only weighs 28 pounds. I don't really want to turn him but DH says no more seats.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is a difficult question. First off I want to mention to those who may click new posts that this is the Canadian forum and the height limit on the Canadian seats is 36" on the stickers and in the manual.

You'll get some varied answers from everyone here, and in the end it's going to come down to making a parental decision about what you feel comfortable doing.

My own parental decision was to go to the US 40" height, and it was installed a little more upright, but not super upright. Of course that was before all the hubbub about the line having to be even.

They say the seat meets standards at a more upright angle, but feel strongly that it should be installed level. I would be fine with a smidge more upright - a smidge that makes it difficult to tell if the line is even or slightly off even. But I would not under any circumstance want to see a 30 or 35* angle on this seat based on what we know right now. This is speaking as a tech and instructor trainer. As a parent, I would feel the same.

Are you able to fit the seat at close to a 45* angle? Depending on your vehicle and how you push on the seat you may be able to get it to fit. How old is your ds? That would also influence my decision as a parent.

Ninetales

I just really don't know how I feel about it. Their insistence makes me nervous. I had the means and got a different seat that expressly allowed a doable angle because I didn't want to make a decision.

thepote

(snip)
...You'll get some varied answers from everyone here, and in the end it's going to come down to making a parental decision about what you feel comfortable doing. (snip)

Yes, when it's been a common, known practice to install more upright and this particular manufacturer has stated over and over again not to, it's really alarming.

My concern is your DH's 'no more seats' statement. This is a safety device intended to save your child's life. It's not something you buy because it's fun or cute (that's just a perk if it is :) ) What if your child had asthma and it wasn't controlled using medication X, but you couldn't switch because DH said 'no more meds'? That wouldn't fly. At only 28lbs your child is much safer RF and car accidents are the NUMBER ONE killer. He wouldn't say 'no more toys' or whatever either I'd guess. I'd put my foot down on this issue. At 28lbs my child gets a seat that allows RFing and is used correctly. :thumbsup:

amyd

How old is your child? 2 is my personal FFing comfort level, although I prefer 3. If I had a 2 year and I couldn't get the seat installed according to the manual RFing and I absolutely couldn't buy another seat, then I'd FF. If my child were under 2, I'd consider making a parental decision to go against the manual. As a tech, I can't advise parents to go against the manual, but the fact is, that many children leave our clinics in Dorel seats that are installed more upright than the angle indicator allows. They often just don't fit more reclined and not every parent is able or interested in purchasing a different seat. We have to work with what's available.

U

Unregistered

he's 2.5 I think that's the reason DH says no more seats if we get yet another RF seat it'll be # 4 just for him that's money we just don't have funds for plus it's not defective and can be used FF it's close to 40 degrees once he's sitting in it. but thats not 45* kwim I KNOW he can FF I'm just scared to but what choice do I have really when I cant afford another seat? it just sucks I bought the seat because of its high weight limit thinking it'd be torso height that really matters. but I guess not it's also a replacement seat for my eddie bauer AOE so this is the third time in less then 2 years dorel has let me down. but I buy their seats because that's what's affordable for me it makes me sick.

dingohate

Yes, when it's been a common, known practice to install more upright and this particular manufacturer has stated over and over again not to, it's really alarming.

My concern is your DH's 'no more seats' statement. This is a safety device intended to save your child's life. It's not something you buy because it's fun or cute (that's just a perk if it is :) ) What if your child had asthma and it wasn't controlled using medication X, but you couldn't switch because DH said 'no more meds'? That wouldn't fly. At only 28lbs your child is much safer RF and car accidents are the NUMBER ONE killer. He wouldn't say 'no more toys' or whatever either I'd guess. I'd put my foot down on this issue. At 28lbs my child gets a seat that allows RFing and is used correctly. :thumbsup:

huge +1. I just picked up a MyRide at BRU for 131.00 out the door. You could probably sell your CA for 75.00(ish) which makes the difference just over 50.00. I know that even that is sometimes hard to come by if you're not expecting it, but if not this month, maybe next? I would be demanding your husband respect that this is a top priority, even if he doesn't agree.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC