Westjet Infant Standby

liztee123

Does anyone know if Westjet still offers infant standby on a direct, domestic flight? If so, has anyone had luck with it?

We are flying direct between Toronto and Vancouver on a mid-day Wednesday, so I'm guessing (hoping) the flights won't be full. DD is 8 months old.

ADS

soapsuds

I travelled Westjet in late June with my 8 month old (and my 3 year old). We flew Toronto to Calgary and then Calgary to Kamloops on a late afternoon flight that was not full (38 extra seats). When I checked in I told her I had my car seat and wondered if she might give me an extra seat. She agreed but told me I'd have to be at the back of plane. She blocked off a row for me but told me that I would still have to check with the flight attendants on board to make sure it was okay to take the seat on. They had no problem with it and so I was able to take the seat on. I then had to check with the next gate attendant in Calgary and she also let me.

However, on the way home (Kamloops to Calgary, Calgary to Toronto) the flights were very full so not an option, but the check-in attendant in Kamloops told me they aren't allowed to let me take my seat on even if there is an extra seat. Not sure if she was just saying that as an excuse though.

Hope this gives some insight! I think it really depends on each individual flight attendant -- they will all say something different!

chay

Missed this last week but maybe this will help for your flight home -

I haven't done it in a while (DD is almost 3) but we never had problems on direct domestic flights with WestJet.

One thing I'd do is to web check in early and pick seats at the back of the plane. If I was alone with the 2 kids I'd put DS's seat at the window and mine on the isle. A middle seat in one of the last rows of the plane is usually one of the last ones people will pick. Then when we got to the airport I'd ask to do infant standby and officially block the middle seat so I could take both car seats on board. If the plane was full my plan was to just switch with the middle person but that never happened - I figure most people would be happy to get an isle seat over the middle.

Hope it worked out for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC