LC reply/ re: TF in ext cab pickups

Dorothy

Per CS (who consulted the engineers), a TF can be used in an ext cab pickup if it is "full-size" (per EPA classification), the vehicle doesn't prohibit the use of a cr in that position, and 80% of the cr base is on the seat. Of course, a top tether is recommended.

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

That makes no sense whatsoever. The EPA's classification is based on a truck's GVWR. Anything under 4500 lbs is a small pickup; anything 4500-8500 is a standard pickup.

What does the vehicle's weight rating have to do with my child's restraint? The fact that a vehicle has the ability to carry a lot of cargo means what, exactly, in terms of passenger protection?

And then I wonder what LC's response would be to a Canadian asking the same question (assuming the Canadian manual has the same restriction), since they have a very different method of classification.

Dorothy

Just passing along the response. Do with it what you will/I'll leave it for all you techs to debate. ;-)

I will say that I repeatedly asked about head excursion room and the presence of the passenger airbag shutoff switch. They insisted the presence of the switch alone did not disqualify the vehicle and reiterated that it was ok so long as you complied with the vehicle manual.

Pixels

Is there a back story that I missed? What, exactly, are you talking about? :p

The TrueFit manual prohibits use in a compact pickup truck. There was some discussion about the definition of "compact," including the presence of an airbag shutoff switch.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pixels said:
The TrueFit manual prohibits use in a compact pickup truck. There was some discussion about the definition of "compact," including the presence of an airbag shutoff switch.

I would likely interpret that as similar to manuals that "prohibit" use with forward-of-the-bight seatbelts. Not that it CAN'T work, just that it's unlikely to, so they ward people off.

As long as the seat fits, I'm not sure what the difference would be. Yes, there are airbag and head excursion issues, but you'd have those with any seat.

I, too, am baffled by the GVWR.

Dorothy

Ok, maybe this extra info will help: When I first called, CS said the vehicle in question was "full-size". I mentioned the passenger airbag shutoff switch, and asked about the implications of that. I asked if they could compare the back seat space in an ext cab and a small car, but they said cars and pickups are classified by different criteria. Thats where there was mention of classifications. So, maybe they didn't intend for me to really take away that piece of info as it was kind of a side note.

Regardless, they clearly stated they did not consider the vehicle we were discussing "compact" or "small" despite its having a passenger airbag shutoff switch. They said as long as the vehicle manual stated a cr could be placed there, a TF could be used. That part was clear as day.

Gosh, I was just trying to be helpful, but I feel like I've kind of mucked it up... Sorry!

Last edited:

Pixels

So, in other words, LC should never have said anything about it at all, since it is up to the vehicle manufacturer to determine if a seat is too small to safely hold a CR.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm pulling out a Scientific Wild-Axx Guess that they originally *meant* it could not be installed in trucks with the tiny half-seats in back.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pixels said:
So, in other words, LC should never have said anything about it at all, since it is up to the vehicle manufacturer to determine if a seat is too small to safely hold a CR.

That's what I'm thinking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC