Marathon vs Boulevard

S

SingleMom

I've been perusing this board for a little while researching the next seat for my 8.5 mos old. You guys are really great and so helpful. I actually need 2 seats, one for my vehicle and one for my parents to use as my mom watches DD during the day. I've narrowed it down to the Marathon, Boulevard, and the new Recaro seats. I want to get a seat now so we can stop moving the SnugRide back and forth plus DD wants to sit more upright. I was also going to preorder a Recaro since everyone seems to be so excited about them. I know, a lot of $$ to shell out but I see it as an investment in her safety and our convenience.

I like the Boulevard because I like the side impact, easy adjusting, and the Shannon pattern. But, I read some reviews regarding the crotch area being too tight and also kids not being able to see out with the extra side impact. I know I shouldn't care about her seeing out the window vs. safety, but it would be nice since she'll be staring at the back of the seat. Is the Marathon a better choice, then? TIA

Suzi
mom to Emma

ADS

natysr

I have both seats and I like both.

In one car our son is in the center seating position, so we have the Marathon there.

In the other car he is in the outboard so we have the Boulevard in that car.

He can see out the window in the boulevard. If he is leaned back, he can see a little, if he leans forward he can see just fine.

I consider both seats to be very safe. I find the cover on the marathon to be easier to remove than on the boulevard. So if you have a child that tends to get sick from time to time or have frequent leaky diapers I'd go for the marathon. Also, Marathon replacement covers are more readily available than covers for the boulevard, so you could keep a spare cover in the trunk.

I LOVE the headrest/harness adjustment on the boulevard...no rethreading and you get a perfect harness height. (No dealing with twisting belts when the harness can *almost* be moved up to the next slot.

That being said, I find it easier to get my son in and out of his seat RF in the MA than the BLVD. I tend to his his head more on the doorframe of the car that has the blvd.

Really you can't go wrong with either seat.

The new Recaro's won't be available for a while. so I'm not sure you want to wait 2 or more months for it. Also, keep in mind that the seats all expire in 6 years. It is likely the Recaro would expire before your child gets to 70 pounds and 60".

BTW albeebaby has the marathon in the erin cover on sale right now. If you do order it though, just check the DOM when you get to make sure you are okay with it.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a BV and love it. I have used it for infants AND toddlers/preschoolers and haven't had a problem with children seeing beyond the wings. Either the Marathon or the Boulevard would be a great choice, though. They are wonderful seats!!!

Congrats on your new seats!

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I also have both seats. The crotch measurement is the same on both. Although I like the cover choices on the MA better and it is definately easier to remove and wash the BLVD is my preference between the two. I like the wings for her to sleep in and the infinate adjustable harness heights is great. Plus it has the TSIP so when I have her outboard I'm not so worried. The cover is harder to get off to launder but it is worth it. Oh, one extra note, the shoulder width is wider in the BLVD than it is in the MA. The MA has the EPS foam that goes all the way down the sides and the BLVD has it just in the wings. I find that Karley has more shoulder room in the BLVD. We use the MA occassionally for babysitting.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I have a Marathon as a spare that I use for all of my kids and a BV for my 5 yr old's primary seat. I chose the BV originally for the SIP because DS can't always be in the center position. I have also used the BV rear facing for my 2 3/4 yr old. The BV is by far my favorite out of the 2. The Marathon is fine, but I love the adjustable headrest on the BV and the head wings are a perfect pillow, even when FF for my 5 yr old, his head never flops forward when he sleeps in it. He loves his pillows, too! I don't think that the wings get in the way at all, they seem to be just perfectly spaced apart. I feel like I'm spoiled by the BV, but I did just pre-order the Recaro Signo for my almost-4 yr old DD. I think it looks very nice and I can't wait to get it, but I've been told that it won't be available until August.

ThreeBeans

The crotch area is not too tight. My 2.5 year old has been riding in the Wizard (predecessor to the BV) since 5 months and he loves the wings, as does his sister, 16 months, riding in a BV. They make comfy pillows for naps. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC