CA65 Harness covers rubbing DS neck

Jillian

We have a CA65 with a DOM of 2/2011, with the harness covers. They rub my son's neck and cause terrible red marks (he has dermatographia, meaning his skin overreacts and produces too much histamine... causing it to redden at even light scratches).

He's started to cry every time I put him in his seat, not sure if this is why but he says, "Ouch mama."

If I'm not mistaken, it seems they aren't manufacturing them with the covers anymore. Can I remove mine?

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

If your seat came with the covers, they are required. They had to make changes to the seat structure when they removed the covers. It sounds like this might not be the right seat for your child.

Jillian

Thanks! Maybe we'll use the MA (2006 DOM) for awhile and check back later to see if he fits better?

My husband likes the headwings (almost non-negotiable about purchasing anything new without them). Anyone have any suggestions for other seats that aren't rubby? What are the XTSL headwings like? Maybe I should go play with a new CA that doesn't have covers...

Kat_Momof3

the cs reps were telling people it was okay to remove them... I'd call them and see.

however, I think that it wouldn't necessarily solve the problem as the straps are closely spaced and then it would be the straps themselves.

I think having him wear shirts with collars is just going to be essential in this seat, or you may need to sell it and get another seat that has wider spaced harness straps.

Jillian

I think having him wear shirts with collars is just going to be essential in this seat, or you may need to sell it and get another seat that has wider spaced harness straps.

Yea, we took a trip that was 4-5hrs and I put a collared shirt on him for that. It did the trick. I also try to pull the neck of t-shirts up but it doesn't always work :(

Pixels

Thanks! Maybe we'll use the MA (2006 DOM) for awhile and check back later to see if he fits better?

My husband likes the headwings (almost non-negotiable about purchasing anything new without them). Anyone have any suggestions for other seats that aren't rubby? What are the XTSL headwings like? Maybe I should go play with a new CA that doesn't have covers...
The XTSL headwings are separate from the harness, so you can always have them exactly even with the top of your child's shoulders. They only come down to the third harness slots, and if your child is below that level then you are supposed to have them all the way at the top of the seat, out of the way.

the cs reps were telling people it was okay to remove them... I'd call them and see.

however, I think that it wouldn't necessarily solve the problem as the straps are closely spaced and then it would be the straps themselves.

It was made CRYSTAL clear in a tech update from some higher-ups (as in engineers/seat designers) at Dorel that the strap covers absolutely cannot be taken off.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, customer service reps were telling people they could remove them. It now turns out that was erroneous info. If the seat came with them, they are required.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I just wanted to share our experiences with our Radian XTSL, because my son has dermatographia, too. We have the Bentley cover on our Radian XTSL, so it's very plush and soft, including the headwings, and DS finds it very comfy. I don't have the harness pads on right now, because DS is a huge fan of polo-style shirts and wears them most of the time, so his shirt collars have kept the harness from rubbing his skin, but the harness pads are the same soft material of the Bentley cover. Even when he's wearing a regular shirt, the harness seems to be spaced widely enough that he doesn't have too many rubbing issues (he's on the 2nd from the top slots rear-facing, though, so I don't know if it applies to the lower harness slots, because I think the bottom 3 (?) are at sort of an angle and the top 2 are more straight).

The True Fit has really widely spaced harness slots (in fact, they were almost a little too wide for my personal taste). It doesn't have headwings, but the design is very deep around the head. It only has a 35 pound RF limit. I wasn't a huge fan of it as a RF seat, but it might be something to keep in mind because of the spacing of the harness slots. The My Ride is another seat that doesn't have headwings but deep sides, and DS didn't really have a problem with the harness placement in that seat, either.

Jillian

The TrueFit and Radian's straps are spaced the same width, eight inches.

Thanks! I like them both and have showed them to my husband a few times.

Can you give me a quick rundown of differences in models of truefits?

NannyMom

Thanks! I like them both and have showed them to my husband a few times.

Can you give me a quick rundown of differences in models of truefits?

The True Fit (original) has a typical foot to put in RF recline. A level line on the side.

The True Fit Recline has the same typical foot as the original, but it has an additional recline mechanism that can be used RF or FF. This has a ball level on the front, with 2 adjustments (for newborns and for toddlers)

True Fit Premiere does not have the RF foot adjustment that the other 2 have. Instead it has a anti rebound bar that is infront of the seat for RF and under the seat for FF. It too has the additional recline feature that the TFR has. This also has the same ball level indicator as the TFR.

I have had the TF and TFP. I prefer the TFP because the anti rebound bar makes it easier to access the harness adjuster when RF.

Jillian

The True Fit (original) has a typical foot to put in RF recline. A level line on the side.

The True Fit Recline has the same typical foot as the original, but it has an additional recline mechanism that can be used RF or FF. This has a ball level on the front, with 2 adjustments (for newborns and for toddlers)

True Fit Premiere does not have the RF foot adjustment that the other 2 have. Instead it has a anti rebound bar that is infront of the seat for RF and under the seat for FF. It too has the additional recline feature that the TFR has. This also has the same ball level indicator as the TFR.

I have had the TF and TFP. I prefer the TFP because the anti rebound bar makes it easier to access the harness adjuster when RF.

Thanks so much for the input!!

Jillian

Is there anything you guys would buy on the walmart site that's a good deal? I have a giftcard. I think if i stay at around $100 oop i could get it now. My giftcard has $26 on it.

Or kohls.com with a coupon code? They seem over priced though

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC