2004 Cosco Touriva or 2003 Graco Snugride for newborn?

Jungle Mama

Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for you advice.:love:

I'm expecting a new baby in August. My older boy has moved up to a Regent, so I was planning on using his old 2004 convertable Cosco Touriva (older version of the Scenera) for the little one since it can be used starting at 5 lbs. and has a 5 point harness. It just seems so big for a little infant.

A friend gave me a 2003 Graco SnugRide with no base or LATCH, and it has a 3 point harness. I checked it out and it hasn't been recalled, but it is on it's last year of use. My older ds was 20 lbs. by 4 months, so he didn't last long in an infant car seat.

Which do you think would be best to use? Or should I go and look for a different infant car seat? Thank you!

ADS

abacus2

I would go with the Touriva. Just make sure to get it checked by a tech to make sure you have it correctly installed at a safe angle for a newborn. The Snugride isn't any easier to use than the Touriva without its base and the 5 pt harness should give you a better fit than the 3 pt. Also you know the history of the seat you have owned all along. If you can afford a new infant seat, that would certainly be nicer, but not totally necessary.

mominabigtruck

I would absolutely not use an american 3pt infant seat. They don't fit babies well at all because of the way they buckle. I would use the touriva, and if you wanted to use the snugride as a carrier when you go out that would be fine but I wouldn't use it as a carseat.

CrabbyBunchX3

Ditto the other posters.
And just for kicks(mommy likes to show her off lol), this is my newest in the scenera at 1 week old.

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Use the Touriva with blankets rolled up on the side of the baby to keep the head up. The Touriva fits newborns pretty well.

Congrats on the new baby!

Jungle Mama

Thank you, everyone! I'm so thankful for this board. I was definately feeling that the Touriva would be best since it's got the 5 point harness, and I bought it new.

I am still on the search for a 5 point harness infant seat. We just can't afford a new one after spending so much on the Regent.

Thanks for the pic!

mominabigtruck

Check out your local big lots, they have compass infant seats there for $40!! They are a great seat, similar to the ss1 with lock offs and eps foam and are adjustable with a knob instead of rethreading. They also have a 8 year expiry date instead of 6 so you can get quite a bit of use out of it.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
This is the best way to support your baby in the Touriva, please don't buy any of those head support pillows or anything, they haven't been crash tested and could interfere with the harness.

This has been crash tested and is taught to techs to teach parents

rolledtowels.jpg

Jungle Mama

Thanks for that advice and pic. I was given a head support thingy that I won't use. I'm feeling better about using the Touriva with a little one. Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC