Recline seat to install then push back up?

Angela

I remember there was discussion about whether this was okay or not. I remember one argument was that it was using a mechanical means to install and not a great idea. Anyone remember the link or have an opinion one way or the other?

ADS

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I do the opposite for RF seats. Install the really up right and then kinda wiggle the part against the seat back up so its more reclined and tighter.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

Kat_Momof3

she's referring to the vehicle seat.. reclining the vehicle seat, installing the seat and just removing visible slack, then pushing the vehicle seat more upright, which then makes the seatbelt or latch be tighter.

I don't have a problem with it as long as you aren't forcing the vehicle seat enough to possibly break it.

soygurl

I would only be ok with that method as a last resort to get a seat to move less than 1 inch. I am NOT ok with using that method to get a seat "rock the car" tight. :twocents:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
When I do this trick, I'm using one hand to pull the seat back up. I'm not behind it pushing with my legs.

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
When I took my CPST class, it was being audited by SK. I was installing the Frontier with LATCH for one of the scenarios and was having a heck of time. The woman that was there from SK actually did this to help me get it tight.

mama2girls

I think I agree it should be a last resort technique, but I know I could never get an acceptable install of my in-laws AOE any other way. My personal opinion at the time was it seemed better to use unconventional methods to get an acceptable install, then to have an unacceptable install.:twocents:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This was a topic in the SafeKids CPST newsletter a few months ago. They specifically recommended against it, but I believe that was in terms of getting rock-solid vs. "just acceptable."

I, too, would do it if it meant the difference between acceptable and unacceptable, but not to "improve" upon an install that was already ok.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not ok with it unless it's special circumstances. If you were talking a "should I purchase this seat" question, the answer would be a definitive no, it's not easily compatible in your vehicle.

If the seat is already owned and there is no other option, I might consider it. To this point though, I have never encountered a situation where a seat isn't either outright compatible or it can't be pulled tight enough by hand. And with the large number of vehicle and carseat combos I've seen at this point, I'm willing to say that it's an oddity that it would be something I'd consider and in general I don't think it's a good idea.

Has anyone ever posed this question to a vehicle manufacturer to see what their input is? I believe PP is right that the Frontier manual mentions it as a technique if you're having difficulty tightening it. I still wouldn't be comfortable with it though for multiple reasons unless the vehicle manufacturer is readily condoning it as well.

christineka

To this point though, I have never encountered a situation where a seat isn't either outright compatible or it can't be pulled tight enough by hand. And with the large number of vehicle and carseat combos I've seen at this point, I'm willing to say that it's an oddity that it would be something I'd consider and in general I don't think it's a good idea.

Try the radian, ffing in the third row of the sienna. When doing 3 across, there aren't many hwh options that don't include a radian.

Kiss Me Deadly

I think it depends on the vehicle. It's really hard to get to the latch clips in my car without reclining the seat a little bit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC