Which seat for new baby (next to MA in Sunfire)?

son.et.lumiere

Hi everyone,

I am expecting my second child and I now have to squeeze another carseat into the back of my 2003 4-door Sunfire.

My daughter is in a 2010 Marathon installed in the center. It will not fit outboard unless no one is in the passenger seat. I'm trying find a very slim, not too tall seat. I would prefer something that installs well with UAS as I can't get the seatbelts to lock and I'm not comfortable with using a locking plate. We have two Snugrides (22 and 35), and they are both too wide and they push the MA over.

I'm looking at the Safety 1st Onside Air. I know it has a short shell, but by the time baby #2 outgrows it, my daughter will most likely be able to FF and I can pass along the MA.

A friend of ours has an Evenflo bucket seat and my husband says that it installed well. I would like to double check, though. I'm just not too keen on buying a bucket that will be outgrown in 6-12 months, then having to buy a convertible seat anyway.

ADS

canadiangie

Hi,

How old is your toddler? Do you have her marathon installed at 45 degrees? If so, it does not need to be that reclined. You can position it on the vehicle seat so that the base is a little bit away from the seat bite/crack, and push down where her feet would be while you tighten the install, and you're going to find it to be more upright, therefore taking up less room.

Step 1: move your front drivers seat all the way forward.

Step 2: with the MA in recline mode place it on the vehicle seat so that the base is pulled away from the seat bite a bit (a few inches).

Step 3: attach UAS connectors (aka LATCH)

Step 4: push down on the MA where her feet would be. Tighten the UAS straps. Tighten each one little bits at a time, alternating back and forth.

Step 5: move your front seat back to where it needs to be. It's fine if the drivers seat touches the MA. Britax allows for this, and GM does not restrict it in a vehicle of your model year.

Now, assuming that works, I see no reason why your current infant seats won't work.

I've worked in a few sunfire/cavalier and I find them quite seat friendly.

Your seatbelts, if youd rather use them to install, lock at the latch plate. Basically you buckle, pull tight, and the lap portion stays tight. That's what counts with car seats -- that the lap portion is held tight. The shoulder portion will lock on impact if for example a booster seat was there, or an adult occupant. But car seat wise your seatbelts are super easy. No need for a locking clip. just buckle, tighten, check that the car seat is installed tight, and go. :)

son.et.lumiere

It's not quite 45 degrees. We installed it with me kneeling on the end of the seat, so I don't think I can get it any more upright. The back seats are kind of wonky so I had to install it with a small rolled up towel, otherwise the seat was way too tilted to one side. I'll try again tomorrow with it behind my seat. Also, I read about the lightweight locking latchplate and tried to get it to lock with no success. :/ Thanks for the advice!

LittlePeanut

Just checking that the current install is correct... You said you prefer UAS installs and the MA is in the centre. Is it installed with the seatbelt or UAS? If it's UAS, check your manual but I doubt the centre seating position is UAS compatible in your vehicle.

son.et.lumiere

It's installed with the seatbelt (I bought both the SR35 and the MA in part because they have built-in lock-offs). Was only planning to have one kid in this car, but things turned out otherwise. :eek:

Edited to add that the seat was checked at a car seat clinic recently (not that it necessarily means anything...).

canadiangie

Ok, sit in your backseat and buckle yourself up. Pull the seatbelt tight over yourself. Then pull up on the lap belt. Does it loosen or stay tight?

Feel free to post a pic of your install.

son.et.lumiere

Thank you, Angie!!!! It worked. My husband is a little cramped, but I'm just fine (I have short legs). I think it's a little over 30 degrees (maybe even closer to 40), but she didn't seem comfortable with it more upright. It's very tight and doesn't move more than a couple of mm.

I'm trying to upload a photo. I'm slightly technologically challenged so here's hoping that it works.

Also, I tried the seatbelts again and if I pull up on the latch portion, it's loose. I've tried fiddling with the latchplate and nothing seems to work. I'm not overly concerned, though, because we can use latch for now and we have two seats with built-in lock-offs.

Again, thanks so much! I don't know why I couldn't get it to work the first time. :confused:

mam521

Hi everyone,

I would prefer something that installs well with UAS as I can't get the seatbelts to lock and I'm not comfortable with using a locking plate.

You have build in lock offs on your MA anyway :) Being its a classic MA, they are pretty user friendly if you ever have to use them in the future.

son.et.lumiere

You have build in lock offs on your MA anyway :) Being its a classic MA, they are pretty user friendly if you ever have to use them in the future.

Yep! That's never been an issue. It was that I was looking for a new seat and not too many have built-in lock-offs. But now, it seems to be installed well on the passenger side so I don't have to get a new seat since I can fit a bucket on the other side. :)

canadiangie

I can't tell for sure, but is the base in full contact with the vehicle seat? It needs to be per Britax. If it isn't just loosen those UAS straps, pull the base away from the seat bite a bit more until the base is making full contact, and then re-tighten.

Thank you, Angie!!!! It worked. My husband is a little cramped, but I'm just fine (I have short legs). I think it's a little over 30 degrees (maybe even closer to 40), but she didn't seem comfortable with it more upright. It's very tight and doesn't move more than a couple of mm.

I'm trying to upload a photo. I'm slightly technologically challenged so here's hoping that it works.

Also, I tried the seatbelts again and if I pull up on the latch portion, it's loose. I've tried fiddling with the latchplate and nothing seems to work. I'm not overly concerned, though, because we can use latch for now and we have two seats with built-in lock-offs.

Again, thanks so much! I don't know why I couldn't get it to work the first time. :confused:

son.et.lumiere

I can't tell for sure, but is the base in full contact with the vehicle seat? It needs to be per Britax. If it isn't just loosen those UAS straps, pull the base away from the seat bite a bit more until the base is making full contact, and then re-tighten.

Yes, it is, it just looks funny because the rolled up towel is dark purple. It's touching everywhere, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC