Seat for second (older) vehicle

catchthewind

Would love some input on a seat that might be good to have permanently in our second car, a 1990 Civic hatchback. It's small, but I have been able to get a Radian and True Fit rear facing in there with room for driver and passenger. This car is used for my husband to commute, and the kids have only been in it when our van broke down. It would be nice to have a seat that could stay in the car for when my older daughter wants to come with us on quick trips around town (fast roads though) so we don't have to always take the van. It would rarely if ever be used for the younger one until she's old enough to want to come on these quick trips (so likely over two), and if all four of us were going we'd just take the van.

I'm trying to decide if I should snatch up a True Fit while they're on sale for $120. I like that they have built-in lock offs since I am not a huge fan of locking clips. I also like that the harness can be adjusted without rethreading it so it would be easy to use for both girls. And both girls still fit rear facing (though my older one is getting close to where I'd likely just put her forward in it). It was easy to install our TFP rear facing so I know it works.

Or should I go for a Maestro or Nautilus? Do either of those have lock offs? Does the Frontier? The likelihood is that the seat would almost always be used forward facing, and we could move our current TFP around if we really wanted a rf seat in that car. It's extremely easy to install in both cars. Do any of those combinations have no-rethread harnesses? There are no headrests back there, do any of them need headrest support?

We don't want to spend too much, since trips like this only happen once or twice a week if that, but in reality if we went for something like the Frontier it could eventually be moved into the van as her main seat. I was considering playing car seat shuffle and moving the TFP into the car, putting my toddler in the Radian, and putting my older one in a combination in the van, but she's quite happy rear facing still so I don't see any reason to turn her yet. There's a possibility of a third child in the future, though that's by no means decided one way or the other yet.

ADS

amyd

I'd do the TF, I think, for the lockoffs and the no-rethread harness. None of the combos have lock-offs (I don't think...maybe the Frontier does, not sure). I know for sure the the Maestro & the Nauti are re-thread harnesses...I think the Frontier might be no-re-thread, but I don't think you can adjust the height while it's installed. None needs head support in booster mode.

catchthewind

Perfect, thank you! I think we will go for a TF then. The built-in lock offs and no-rethread harness really appeal to me. It has decent top harness slots if I remember right (and my kids have short torsos anyway), so should last a while, and means I'll continue to be able to use it for both girls in that car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC