Question Seats ruined?

babyherder

I drove into a rock wall :doh: Not like an accident. Like a misjudged where the front of my car was as I was parking and hit a rock wall/parking barrier in front of me. I was going probably 5-10 mph. The front of my bumper has scratch marks. Does that count as an accident in terms of car seats? No kids were in the car but I did have my vivo buckled in and a backless evenflo booster in the trunk. I'm thinking they don't need replaced cause it was like a bump but it was a hard bump being a rock wall and all. Ugh! I'm so mad at myself for doing something so stupid! Just when I was thrilled that I was driving on a narrow road (that I hate and avoid) with no trouble I do something stupid like this!

ADS

ginny4

i wouldn't bother replacing. i've had a stupid bump happen to me too. nonetheless in my own driveway with my own cars. yeah i forgot to pull the one in front out before going in reverse. DUH

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, if you truly hit the wall at 10 mph, I'd say replace. But if you were in the process of parking, I doubt you were even going 5.

I personally wouldn't replace in that situation.

babyherder

The only reason I think I might have been going 10mph is that I misjudged how close I was to the wall and didn't slow down as fast as I needed to. I was going off a highway into the parking lot so I was slowing down from about 55mph.

LuvBug

Did it jerk you or did it feel more like how it feels when you hit an ugly pothole in the road?

10mph is actually a significant amount of force against a rock wall and I feel like it would have caused much more damage to either the car or the wall itself.

babyherder

The seatbelt locked on me. I jerked forward maybe an inch (maybe less, it was just a little) before the belt locked on me. It hurt where the belt hit me but not like injury or permanent damage or leaving marks. Just like ouch I wish it didn't happen. It felt different than hitting a pothole. I think it felt worse but that could be cause I hit it head on so I was forced forwards instead of just feeling a giant bump from under me. Mostly it was surprising and strong enough to remind me of why I never want to get into a real accident. But I thought that when I drove into the barrier around the gas tank and no one wanted to count that as an accident so I'm not sure to trust my feelings on that.

Nothing that could be counted as damage to the car I don't think. I don't count scrapes and scratches as damage really. Just marks that show the car has been used. The licence plate is bent but it was bent before (no idea what happened) and doesn't seem any different now but I can't be completely sure. I didn't even think to check the wall for damage but there was nothing obvious.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC