Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Is it ok if I take the headrest off the seat?

My newborn ds is riding in the second row driver's side captains chair in my 2003 Windstar. I have my 3 yo dd riding ff in a CarGo right behind him and she's always complaining that she can't see the baby, and she wants to watch him. I want her to stay in that spot, for a variety of reasons, so is it ok to remove the headrest on his seat so she can see him? Does it play a role in anyone's crash safety?

She's top tethered, he's just installed with LATCH, no tether.

Does this make me a Graco junkie? Everything in my car is a Graco except 14 mo dd's AOE! I really want to get the cooler carseats, but dh can't see spending the money if everyone's already set, LOL. Well, the only one I'd see switching is 4 yo dd's TurboBooster, but she's 52 lb and the size of most 6.5 yos, so even switching her out to a big seat wouldn't last long.
    Dana, mama to Amanda, Bethany, Christina and Daniel and newborn Elizabeth

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member all together ooky's Avatar

Re: Is it ok if I take the headrest off the seat?

Sure, go ahead and remove it.

Sounds like your setup it fine and working well for you.
    ~Sonja~

Gwenllian: Born Feb. 7, 2004
    Eleanor: Born April 1, 2008
    Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012

CPS Technician stayinhomewithmy6's Avatar

What a sweet big sister! Yes, definitely, you can remove it. My '96 Windstar doesn't even have headrests in the back, on any seats.
    SAHM to my silly six: X (12, seatbelt), R (11, seatbelt), E (9, Evenflo Amp),
    Z (6, Frontier 85 in booster mode), G (4, FF TFP) and M (2, RF Pavilion)

CPS Advocate

yes just store it in a place you wont lose it, not in the car.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

Yes, you can remove it, but don't lose it LOL!

I would take it out of your van otherwise it could become flying debree in the event of an accident.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way