News Warning sensitive content! So why should a child restraint be used properly everytime?

badkitty

Warning.. emotional content. Story involves passing away of child.

This is why:

http://www.ksla.com/story/14986502/major-wreck-shuts-down-i20e

Updates to the story confirm this sweet child passed away this afternoon. Child was in the front seat which there alone means improperly restrained. Child and mother both ejected which tells me there were probably no restraints in use. Would this accident have been survivable had they been restrained? Who knows, but I know that should the worst happen, I will have done everything possible to make an accident survivable for my children and me. This story is sadly all too common where I live. I am looked at as ridiculous for how I view CPS.. I see kids completely unrestrained and lap riding on a regular basis here. Just makes me ill.

Hope I'm not out of line for posting this.

Last edited:
ADS

macmomma

Re: So why should a child restraint be used properly everytime?

I saw that earlier- brakes my heart! Are you in the Shreveport/ Bossier area???

Last edited:

badkitty

Yes I am! Are you? This story has me sad and angry. They might still be alive if they had been properly restrained!

macmomma

Yes I am in Shreveport/ bossier- so glad to finally see someone on here from this area!
This area has lost too many kids the last month - like the wreck in Benton about three weeks ago and that little boy that pulled lose from him momma's hand and got hit - just very sad.

kate4478

Hi! I'm from the Lafayette area! :) I don't make it to Shreveport often, which is sad because my grandmother lives there! I haven't seen her in 2 years. :(

Btw, if you can edit your title put in there a warning, since it talks about death.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

badkitty

Thanks Kate. I didn't think of that. Will do! It is good to see people from this area on here. Seems as if there are far too many folks from this area that think seatbelts/helmets/carseats and protective devices of the like are silly and uncool. There have been way too many deaths because of this! I rolled up on a fatal a few seconds after it happened one night on my way to work. The two wearing seatbelts were fine. The one that wasn't, well...

badkitty

Well Kate, I changed the title, but it is only showing after the thread is opened. I hope that's good enough. I will remember this for future reference though.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you edit the first post with a large space at the top, make the top line "warning: sensitive content - child death mentioned" and then a big break, it will help by not having the post show in hover mode. :)

I don't get it, either. And I see it every.single.day, and it just breaks my heart.

macmomma

I know we have a member from the Monroe area here..... maybe one day we can do a meetup- it would be great to meet folks with the same passion:)

acoro

So sad. What a waste of a young life. I really don't understand people who don't wear seatbelts or properly restrain children. So sad

MommaWhitney

So sad!! Im in Lake Charles and have family in the Shreveport area. We recently had a truck that flip and a man was ejected, reportedly
not wearing his seat belt :( Its so sad that a life might have been saved by such a simple act and now its too late :(

agave

Yesterday my husband was trying to convince me it was OK for our 3 yr old to drive in his lap next door in the truck. I'm paranoid for not thinking it's OK. He thinks just because it's just next door and we live in the boonies and he did the same time many times as a kid it's ok.:banginghead:

badkitty

Thanks Carrie.. Done.. McMomma, that would be fun to do one day.

Agave, it's not paranoid! My passion for carseats actually started in part to a 20/20 story I saw as a kid. Woman was hold her child in her lap because they were just "going down the road". They were hit, he went through the windshield. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

One time, I was out in the country riding with an older lady in her van. I was in the middle captain's chairs w/ DS2 and told her he needed to nurse. I got him out of his carseat and she pulls off and starts driving! She tried to use the same reasoning with me that we were out in the country and no one was around. I made her see the light, then she recalls a wreck where a friend of her sons lost control on a country road and flipped. One child was restrained, one not. Restrained child, not a scratch. Not restrained child ejected. I'm thinking "With you knowing a story like that, why on earth do you think it's ok to drive while I nurse?!" She did pull back off the road before I had a complete meltdown.

I also get sick of people who say "We didn't have carseats when we were a kid and came out fine." Yeah, well, were you ever in a major accident? A lot of children were killed and seriously injured in survivable accidents. That's why we have carseats today. Do you want to live with regret or be thankful your child was restrained as safely as possible should the worst happen. It only takes a second for your life to be turned upside down.

badkitty

The newspaper just revealed that the mom was also pregnant. :(

Kat_Momof3

this is just tragic... the crash had to be severe, since everyone in the truck it crashed with is in bad shape, too, but obviously seatbelts would have at least kept them in the car... and I bet if the 4yr old was in a harnessed seat or at least a booster, she'd be alive.

alake

This is so sad. I was behind a truck that over turned on an icy road, and the driver was ejected. The man was killed on impact. I was on the line with 911 to report the accident, and in the other lane, there was tractor trailer units sliding and screeching there tires in the other lane. As the cops were coming to the scene a jeep was rear ended by another truck, it is one of the most scary things I had ever seen. This shook me up for many days, and I didn't sleep great for a long time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC