Trouble Installing Safety 1st Air Protect Complete Air RF

gingerbread

So, we bought three of these seats today and managed to successfully install one FF. We used latch and it's rock solid. But I can't figure out how to install this seat RF my my car! We have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. We need to install one seat RF behind the passenger seat and the other RF in the middle. Reading the manual has me completely confused. It says I need to fold up the base for RF and install the seat so the recline is such that the line on the seat is parallel to the ground as shown in this pic:
IMG_5233-1.jpg

When I do that there is a crazy amount of space in between the car seat and the seat of the car that no pool noodle could ever fill.
IMG_5232.jpg

IMG_5231.jpg

Am I doing something wrong here? Or is this seat not compatible with my car? :confused:

ADS

Pixels

You are neither doing anything wrong, nor do I see any incompatibility. You can either wedge the carseat into the vehicle seat back, and forgo noodles, or use a noodle pyramid or towel pyramid to fill the gap. Personally, I think wedging is easier.

NannyMom

No, you're doing it right. The Complete Air is crazy reclined when installed. And for the gap, you can either pile up pool noodles in a huge pyramid or you can stand at the head of the carseat and push in with your body to wedge it into the vehicle seat as you tighten the belt.

gingerbread

Thank you both so much. This is nuts! Does the seat really have to be that reclined? One of the RF kids going in this seat is 2 and I don't know if she will tolerate being so reclined.

When you say to "wedge" the seat, can you please explain a bit more? Do you mean push it into the seat it is latched in to?

And also, can these seats be braced against or touch the passenger seat? I did not see anything in the manual regarding that.

Pixels

Do you have the stand in the proper position for your forward facing seat? I don't have a clear view, but it looks like it might be in reclined mode.

Ninetales

Well that's scary. Did I buy the wrong seats for my kids? After reading that link I'm a bit worried.

As the parent, it's pretty much your call. Some people are ok with putting it more upright because Dorel says that it passes testing. Others are not comfortable with that because they are so insistent on using the line indicator. You're the only one who can decide for you.

Your pictures look like the ones Dorel posted on their FB showing "correct" installation.

gingerbread

I returned all three of these today and ordered more radians. i couldn't sleep last night for thinking about all of this. I'm going to stick with what I know and love and bite the bullet on the bill.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC