Flying with a 4.5 year old

M

myfriendamy

Hey :)

I'll be flying Southwest airlines in November when my son will be almost 4.5 years old. He's 4 this week and at he's approx 41lbs and 42" tall right now. He rides FF in a Nautilus and a True fit at the moment, and I like both seats just fine :)

We'll be visiting my brother in Portland and he can borrow a seat from friends/family up there, however they are all of the mind that 4 years old = booster, so I'm not sure they'd have a seat that would fit him.

Has anyone had experience with the True fit and/or Nautilus on a plane? I've searched and most of the replies are from several years ago, and I wondered if anything has changed? Which would YOU use for the trip? Or is there an alternative I'm not thinking of?

I wouldn't mind terribly if he didn't have a seat on the plane (though I would prefer it) - but is there a (very) inexpensive car seat I could have my brother buy for up there? The Cosco Scenera won't fit him, at over 40lbs... and I'm definitely not comfortable with a booster in the rain, sleet and ice.

The one and only time I gate checked a car seat they broke the base part off of an Evenflo triumph, and the manufacturer said it would take a "catastrophic accident" to cause that damage... so checking, or gate checking, is out. I just don't trust that. :(

ADS

veggiegirl228

What about the Evenflo Maestro (rated up to 50 lbs good height for harness)

or Evenflo Generations 65 (not as good harness height)

I believe that Babies R Us carries them both and they are less than $100. We used the Gen 65 and it was easy to use on SW/rental car.

Jan06twinmom

I would take the car seat on the plane and use it. I've flown using the Evenflo Triumph, Britax Decathlon and Radian car seats on planes. The ET is a wide seat and I was on a Canadair Regional Jet so I think everything else should pretty much fit.

If you wanted to purchase a seat either to travel with or to have shipped directly there, I would go with the Evenflo Maestro.

Thank you for sharing your experience with damage to your checked car seat. That is pretty scary. I try to discourage parents from checking car seats, but I think most people do it without worry about the consequences. You were lucky that you could see the damage.

Melanie

U

Unregistered

Thanks :) I've checked out the Maestro, and while it's decently priced, its almost as much as I spent on the ticket and I don't think I can justify that for just a weekend. :( I'll have to see what else I can come up with.

I have time, but I'm a planner LOL

disbugsmomma

I flew with a TF just last month and while it was heavy to lug around, it installed very easily on the plane. I had one flight attendant tell me to flip the buckle around but I knew better with that seat. ;) You can't use the lock-off in the seat though, unless you use a belt extender. The buckle ends up right on top of the lock-off so I just closed it, then buckled over it. It also fit great on my Baby Jogger stroller to get it through the airport, just used a bungee cord to keep it on there. All in all, I would definitely fly with that seat again. :thumbsup:

Oh, I flew Spirit, which has a tendency to have small seats and it fit just fine with the armrest up.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thank you! I'm glad to hear from someone who has recently flown with the seat. I agree, that it might be heavy to lug around (and I'm NOT looking forward to that), but that will probably end up being the route I take.

I've been a "lurker" on these boards for years - coming here as a resource - but this is the first time I've posted anything. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised with the quick and knowledgeable replies! You guys really do rock :D

disbugsmomma

The linked thread mentions that the Nauti will not fit through the x-ray machines. The TF will fit, face down with the foot in the rf position. Hope that helps too.

krasota

Southwest doesn't do preboarding for families, just so you know. They will board you between A & B groups, unless you have an A-group boarding pass. You can check in online 24 hours before the flight and boarding pass numbers are issued in numeric order. You line up according to that number.

If you have a disability, you can get early boarding. I have a peanut allergy (among other food allergies), so that takes care of that. I tell the ticket counter agent and the gate agent--one of them will issue me a preboarding authorization. I board early to wipe down all the surfaces and install kiddo's carseat. If I'm traveling with just DS, he comes with me, of course.

krasota

Oh, yes. They will certainly ask people to move to keep a parent-child group together. And they'll make sure a carseat goes in the window seat.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
When I flew they refused to rearrange people so my kids and I could sit together, but I had passengers offer. The original seats were arranged so that both my 4 and 5 year olds were in seats between two strangers, one in the row behind me and the other several rows back. The lady in the window seat behind me traded seats so the girls could sit next to each other and the lady on the aisle ended up being super nice and talked to the girls and played with them and took them to the bathroom for me. But the FA's were super rude.

Anyway, the Nautilus works great on the plane.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC