5 YO getting car sick...help! Would a booster help?

todzwife

I had siblings who got car sick as kids, but so far we've been lucky that my kids haven't been prone to motion sickness...until yesterday.

We were driving a windy cut off road, and DD was outboard passenger. She is USUALLY center, but I needed DS to take care of the baby, so I switched their positions. She was playing her new leapster game and watching a movie, which she's done before.

We BARELY made it to the gas station before she threw up all over the floor (thankfully not in the car). After waiting 30 minutes, we loaded back in and it was a straight shot to my mom's from there and she didn't get sick any more. The only conclusion I could come to was that she got car sick...

So I have a question...
1. Would she be less likely to get car sick in a booster seat? She was complaining that the buckle on her Radian was hurting her tummy.

2. I plan to move her back center, and not let her play the leapster any more in the car.

Anything else I can do?

ADS

sirrahn

I've had issues with car sickness my whole life. She probably just really needs to be in the middle and you may need to discourage the Leapster or anything that lets her look down. I doubt a booster would make enough difference unless it would allow her to see over the front seat when she's outboard. It's watching out the side window that causes issues. She may have felt like it was the Radian buckle, but it was probably just that her stomach was hurting from being nauseous. The only surefire cure for me is to not ride in the back seat, but obviously that's not an option for her just yet. GL!

christineka

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to begin with, and like it had nothing at all to do with her carseat.

Yeah. The only trip my oldest dd was perfectly fine for (12 hours there and back) was the one where she was harnessed in a regent. It had nothing to do with being harnessed, though. I put her in the middle-most seat, pushed all the way forward. She didn't do anything in the van except watch out the front windshield and sleep. I've recently developed some motion sickness myself, but only when I'm reading books. As long as I watch the road (I can crochet at the same time) I'm fine. I've been known to get sick from playing video games just in my stable livingroom. I'd leave the electronic gadgets off.

T4K

I have had motion sickness in the backseat of vehicles since I was a little girl Center is better because she can look out the front. It also helps me if the air is blowing in my face. A lightweight battery operated fan may help her. Also, sips of water and sucking on hard candy can deter some discomfort.

On my iPhone...Probably NAK or PAK ;-)

SheSparkles

get her some sea bands to wear in the car. we had a mom at gymnastics who was at her wits end with her daughter getting carsick and another mom suggested the sea bands. the child hasn't been sick in the car since. might be worth a try

emtb79

get her some sea bands to wear in the car. we had a mom at gymnastics who was at her wits end with her daughter getting carsick and another mom suggested the sea bands. the child hasn't been sick in the car since. might be worth a try

What are sea bands and where can I find them? I have a field trip next week and I have a little boy who will puke at the 1 hour mark.

Ducky5306

Target (at least here in fl) sells them and so does CVS and other drug stores.

Sent from my HTC using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC