OT: Seat belt extender

emtb79

Im not sure where to put this topic so I apologize ahead of time if its in the wrong spot, my seat belt fits me not so great I have room in the length of the belt but no matter how I move the belt height adjuster it is still on my neck. So I searched a found extenders on Ebay, but was still gonna get one from the manufacter.

Now my question the buckle this time is gonna hit maybe at the edge of hip and stomach would you guys wear the extender with the buckle there?

ADS

Lea_Ontario

No.

It is my understanding that seat belt extenders are only to be used by people for whom the belt cannot fit around them - where the length is too short.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, they're really last resort when the belt doesn't fit at all.

I just woke up, but I'm having a hard time picturing how an extender would help with the fit of your shoulder belt anyway.

Seatbelts tend to hit my neck, too. It's uncomfortable and annoying but not really a safety hazard.

emtb79

I was just curious what you guys thought cause I thought it would be unsafe to have it on your neck during an accident and cause injuries with your windpipe and things like that.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's less safe, IMO, to use an extender that changes the belt geometry.

My belt rides up on my neck too. It's annoying. The lap belt fit is good, which reassures me.

TerisBoys

I just woke up, but I'm having a hard time picturing how an extender would help with the fit of your shoulder belt anyway.

It does change the belt geometry some - especially if you're a larger person, or have a really low female buckle. The next time you buckle up, stop and hold the end of the belt about 6" from buckling - you'll see.

OP - try sitting closer to the buckle. Not always the easiest to do, especially while driving, but it does help a bit.

Pixels

I was just curious what you guys thought cause I thought it would be unsafe to have it on your neck during an accident and cause injuries with your windpipe and things like that.

Is the belt touching your skin and irritating it? Or is it, like, ON your throat? Can you feel the inner edge of your collar bone, and tell me where that is in relation to the belt?

My brother is large enough that the seatbelt in DH's car does not reach. On the extender, there are all sorts of warnings that the extender is ONLY for people who cannot buckle the belt without it, and if the extender is used, it MUST place the buckle at least X number of inches from the belly button. Pontiac offers two sizes of extenders, and Bro has the shorter of the two. On him, the buckle is marginally far enough away from his navel.

emtb79

Its actually sitting on my neck to the right of my collarbone. I grab ahold of the belt and move it off my neck back onto at least my collar bone. Im working loosing weight I guess I need to loose some more faster so its fits right again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC