Radian on the plane questions

KaiLing

I'm taking my Radian on the plane on Tuesday for my giant 2 yo. I've done this before, and the biggest trouble was the head slump for the kid who's used to being RF. I've been searching around in the forums and I wanted to ask people a few things:

1. I should put the seat in recline mode, I assume, but should I also recline the airplane seat while installing it to get the greatest recline in flight?

2. Can I then recline the airplane seat back once we've taken off?

3. My stickers are falling off (no, I've never washed it). I just realized that this might be an issue now, so there's no way that SKJP is going to get me new stickers. Do we think that the manual is good enough to convince a cranky flight attendant? Or should I print something else?

4. There's no reason to try to get it RF in a bulkhead (if the continental gods smile upon me), right? We're stuck FF?

Thanks! Even though the MyRide was a giant pain in the patooty to get unbuckled, it was easier on the plane in some ways.

ADS

jnamommy

I hope this isn't too late to help you.

It is not necessary to put the airplane seat in recline mode to install. But if you do, remember that it cannot be that way during takeoff and landing.

The stickers also fell of of all 3 of our Radians. It was kind of a hassle but I was able to get new stickers from SK. I realize it is too late for you to do this, but you may want to after the trip, so you have them for next time. I would definitely take your manual, showing it is FAA certified. Some FA may ask, others may not.

You may be able to get it RF in the bulkhead - doesn't hurt to try. But if you do install RF, get a seatbelt extender, or else you won't be able to get the seat uninstalled. Trust me on this. I have done this.

KaiLing

Thanks for the response! We had no space for RF, and still got the FF head slump, but we made it. The very sweet and sincere flight attendant on the little flight did check the sticker, which *fell off in her hand*. WTH? We're here for a while so I'm going to call SKJP and see if they can send us some labels. But they're ALL off! Weird, no?

Pixels

Unfortunately, not weird for a Radian. Unacceptable, IMO, but all the stickers are falling off mine, too. Lots of people have their stickers fall off Radians.

InternationalMama

I know you're back from your trip now (oh, or maybe you still need to make the return trip?), but I've been having some hesitation about installing car seats in the bulkhead when more and more often now the seat belts in those rows have airbags in them. Some car seat manufacturers are now explicitly forbidding the use of those type of belts with their seats (Combi and Britax come to mind). I don't know if SKJP has a stance on that, but something to keep in mind when reserving seats in the future. I don't think I'll be choosing the bulkhead anymore.

KaiLing

Hey, good to know! We fly a fair amount. I know nothing about the airbags in the bulkhead and will look into it. Is it indicated on the seat in some way? My husband is 6'9" or so, so if we can get the bulkhead we try to, but if there's some sort of airbag situation we'll reconsider.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC