RF tether and tilt

Kellyr2

I know that technically it's okay, but for those who have had seats that tilted - did it drive you crazy? Rationally, I know it's alright, but it just doesn't "seem" okay.
Where the MA is now - behind the drivers seat - it's fine. The tether goes straight down/forward. But I need to move it to the middle seat, and the tether will HAVE to go to the side.

And can I just tell you how much I'm kicking myself for getting the 2nd row bench instead of 2 captain seats? OMG my life would be so much simpler with 2 captain seats! I'm so limited right now. :(

ADS

oxeye

I don't like it either, but I've found a couple tricks to lessen it.

Try to install the seat less upright to begin with (push the base closer to the bight of the seat and put your weight more towards the back of the seat than the front of the seat when you install it). Then when you install the tether, you shouldn't have to tighten it as much to get the recline you want and it will lean less.

Another trick that works for me is to place my weight strategically on the back of the seat while I tighten the tether. If the seat wants to lean to one side, I place my weight on the other side while I tighten the tether. You can also try to have the tether less tight on side that wants to lean. Pull as much slack as you can out of the side that doesn't lean. The tether is still pretty tight overall, but it's less tight on the leaning side and more tight on the side that doesn't want to lean. Does that make sense at all? It's hard to describe in writing. It's one of those things I wish I could show you!

Kellyr2

Yep, I understand what you're saying! In other words "play with it and figure out what works!"
The good news is that I was having a hard time finding anchor points at all, because it felt like the whole "leg" was just one huge chunk of metal, bolted to the floor with no space. I finally figured out that it actually has a metal cover on one side, and then the plastic cover that pops out that's on the inside/under the seat, revealing all the actual joints. So there are 3 good points on each seat. woohoo!
It's too hot this afternoon, but later tonight or tomorrow I'm going to switch it. I *think* Xander is sweating less in the MA than the SS1, but I'm not sure. Or at least, the MA absorbs more of the sweat. Guess I could always lay a recieving blanket under him in the SS1 (not interfering with the harness of course) for a while longer.

Kellyr2

Yep, I understand what you're saying! In other words "play with it and figure out what works!"
The good news is that I was having a hard time finding anchor points at all, because it felt like the whole "leg" was just one huge chunk of metal, bolted to the floor with no space. I finally figured out that it actually has a metal cover on one side, and then the plastic cover that pops out that's on the inside/under the seat, revealing all the actual joints. So there are 3 good points on each seat. woohoo!
It's too hot this afternoon, but later tonight or tomorrow I'm going to switch it. I *think* Xander is sweating less in the MA than the SS1, but I'm not sure. Or at least, the MA absorbs more of the sweat. Guess I could always lay a recieving blanket under him in the SS1 (not interfering with the harness of course) for a while longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC