anyone worry about car seat damage during shipping?

KristinJ

I just always wondered this. Most manufacturer's recommend replacing seats in any crash...so that would mean minor fender benders, minor rear-end, etc. What do you think these seats endure during shipping? I have to imagine they are thrown about, tossed, dropped...probably worse that what some minor crashes go through.

of course, they are not in use...just wondering if rough shipping is something to be worried about. most car seats I've ordered have just been in a cardboard box..no foam padding or anything to protect them.

ADS

purplemama

YES!!!! I worry too. Especially when I saw the UPS guy swing his truck so fast around our cul-de-sac circle that my neighbors packages that were on the floor next to him went flying out and skidded all over the road. So yeah, I worry.

(Oh and this UPS guy regularly goes way too fast through our 15mph limit development and doesn't seem to know what a stop sign is.)

Yes!
I just posted another thread about my onboard 35 arriving with no packaging material.
IIRC, both radians I've ordered have come packed in styrofoam molds in their boxes. This is my first experience getting a carseat shipped to me from a retailer that isn't packed like the radians...
There is a big part of me that wants to return the seat. But, if they're all packaged that way, the ones at the store are probably in the same condition.

mamom

I always think of the shipping as using up the 1 what if. That is why I think carseats should be replaced in ANY accident because they might have all ready had their "fender bender" :rolleyes: lol :)

lovemybabies924

mamom said:
I always think of the shipping as using up the 1 what if. That is why I think carseats should be replaced in ANY accident because they might have all ready had their "fender bender" :rolleyes: lol :)

Lol love it

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

rxmommy

I know Sophie's TFP came packed in foam. I don't remember the Keyfit, or any of the other seats!!

KaiLing

The Scenera comes in a bag at Target. I asked the same thing, in the context of "don't ever check your car seat." The general consensus was twofold:

1. store employees have to be nice to the merchandise or they pay for it (not so with airport employees)
2. boxes take a lot of the force of bumps.

I still don't know how much I buy the comparison, but the reality is that seats perform very well after being crash tested, and you can't do anything about the packaging. You can do something about checking your seat on the airplane.

Pixels

I have owned nine seats from five different manufacturers, including four Radians and a TrueFit. None of them have ever come with anything extra in the box for padding.

The seats that come in bags are shipped in boxes, two seats to a box. They are unboxed before they are put on the shelf.

If shipping was damaging seats to the point that they were unsafe, we would know about it. When the government does its compliance testing for FMVSS 213, they don't go to the manufacturer to get a sample. They go to a store and buy one off the shelf, or order one online, just like you and I do. If shipping was damaging seats to the point that they were unsafe, they would fail compliance testing.

DahliaRW

Also, shipping isn't putting explicit pressure on the beltpath or harness like an accident would. Though I truly believe a lot of car seat manufacturers are being overly cautious with the replace after any accident criteria, mostly because they don't want to get sued if they don't and your car seat fails in a subsequent accident.

scariestone

Considering the condition of the boxes our seats have come in you would think I'd be worried but I'm really not. The only time I've ever had a seat damaged(visibly) from shipping was our MT. The little tab that holds the lockoff closed was broken off on one side. The odd thing is, it was in a sturdy cardboard box, had a bag around it AND was wrapped in bubble wrap. Cardboard is meant to smoosh and absorb forces to prevent damage to whatever is in them. I was far more worried when the ups lady threw(literally and from about 5 feet away) the box containing DS's new tv up onto our porch while I was standing there waiting for her to hand it to me! :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC