Seat sideways a little

littleangelfire

Hi all. I have a technical question. I have a tiny 2 door Honda Civic, with a booster and Marathon in the back seat. Usually there is no room for a third person (adult, child or seat) to sit in the middle. I thought today of moving the Marathon as close to the outboard as possible, and the booster to the opposite to try and make enough room for someone to sit in the middle. Here's the thing, my back seat is a little weird. It kind of slants in places (its not warped or anything :D its just made that way) so if I put the seat all the way to the side it will slant, be cockeyed like / instead of |. It already slants a little, but not too much. Other than comfort, is there a reason this is unsafe?
Thanks

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No, not unsafe. The Marathon could be fix by using a locking clip, if you wanted to. The booster couldn't be fixed.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I interpret her post to mean that the seat would sit flat on the seat, but would face inwards at an angle, so it's not parallel to the door. Regardless, Britax doesn't allow the use of a locking clip with a Marathon because it has the lockoffs on it.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with the seat sitting not parallel to the door. A little bit maybe (I'd have to see the situation), but to have the head of the car seat facing the door isn't a good idea because it's right there in a side impact.

If I'm not interpreting this correctly, then just let me know :).

littleangelfire

I interpret her post to mean that the seat would sit flat on the seat, but would face inwards at an angle, so it's not parallel to the door. Regardless, Britax doesn't allow the use of a locking clip with a Marathon because it has the lockoffs on it.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with the seat sitting not parallel to the door. A little bit maybe (I'd have to see the situation), but to have the head of the car seat facing the door isn't a good idea because it's right there in a side impact.

If I'm not interpreting this correctly, then just let me know :).

You're right, the base is flat into the car's seat. Actually it leans away from the door, towards the middle. I have switchable locking thingies on the seat belts, and so far that's been good enough to get it in tight, which is good, b/c the lockoff on one side is broken.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If it slants the way you think it will, I wouldn't be comfortable with it. I would however, try installing it that way and see if it slants as much as you think it will.

Also, which lock-off is broken? Could you put the MA on the opposite side of the car so you could use the lock-off? Using the lock-off could definitely improve the slant problem.

I'd also call Britax because I think they can send out replacement lock-offs. I've heard of cases where they've done it for free. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC