2008 Can you swap 3rd row bench with 2nd captain seat in Dodge Grand Caravan or Town & Country?

chucksusanb

We really want to have a middle seat position in a mini van. All I am seeing is captain seats in 2nd row.

Honda Odyssey seems really out of our price limit plus I would like to buy American if possible.

Does anyone know how I can get a middle seat in a mini van in the year 2007, 2008, or 2009? I just can't seem to find anything.

Also ratings are a HUGE thing for me and Honda Odyssey, Dodge Grand Caravan and Town & Country are all rated highly.

Thank you.

Thank you

ADS

Vdavis

Yes you can. If it is in your price range you can order new from a dealership or you can get a used one from a salvage yard. At a salvage yard they run abot 75-100

chucksusanb

So the seatbelt mechanism is built into the seat??

That would be wonderful. We are looking for 2008, but could definitely afford to order a bench seat from the dealership too!!

Thank you so much.

Do you know if you can do this with both Grand Caravan and Town & Country?

Thanks.

Sue

luckyclov

Are you asking if you can stick a 3rd row bench of a T&C/GC in the captain's chair's 2nd row? No, you can't. Atleast not on an '08-'10 and most likely the '11 as well. Even if the seat/floor were compatible for the switch, there'd be no shoulder belt in that new "center" position, as the center spot in the 3rd row has the shoulder belt coming from the ceiling and clipping into a box on the lap belt. I wouldn't do any switching around of seats unless it was approved by the manufacturer and the work was done at a dealership.

I really don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in an American minivan unless you stumble across an older body style Chrysler/Dodge (pre-2008) with the 2nd row 2 seater bench, where one side is a little more in (but not quite center). And even then, I'm still not sure you can swap the 2 benches. I also had an '05/'06, and while both benches could be removed from the vehicle entirely, I don't remember being able to put the 3rd row bench in the 2nd row. Even so, there'd only be a lap belt and likely no headrest (mine didn't have a headrest or shoulder belt in the center of the 3rd row).

The 2004-2010 Toyota Siennas have what you're looking for. I drive an '11 Sienna now and that's a feature it no longer has.

Something to also be thoughtful of, especially with looking at 2008-newer Chryslers is that there is a fairly dramatic slope on the vehicle seat bottoms, which can make *some* carseat/booster difficult to use. And the gas mileage sucks. I was getting around 14 MPG city on my '09 Grand Caravan.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Are you asking if you can stick a 3rd row bench of a T&C/GC in the captain's chair's 2nd row? No, you can't. Atleast not on an '08-'10 and most likely the '11 as well. Even if the seat/floor were compatible for the switch, there'd be no shoulder belt in that new "center" position, as the center spot in the 3rd row has the shoulder belt coming from the ceiling and clipping into a box on the lap belt. I wouldn't do any switching around of seats unless it was approved by the manufacturer and the work was done at a dealership.

I really don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in an American minivan unless you stumble across an older body style Chrysler/Dodge (pre-2008) with the 2nd row 2 seater bench, where one side is a little more in (but not quite center). And even then, I'm still not sure you can swap the 2 benches. I also had an '05/'06, and while both benches could be removed from the vehicle entirely, I don't remember being able to put the 3rd row bench in the 2nd row. Even so, there'd only be a lap belt and likely no headrest (mine didn't have a headrest or shoulder belt in the center of the 3rd row).

The 2004-2010 Toyota Siennas have what you're looking for. I drive an '11 Sienna now and that's a feature it no longer has.

Something to also be thoughtful of, especially with looking at 2008-newer Chryslers is that there is a fairly dramatic slope on the vehicle seat bottoms, which can make *some* carseat/booster difficult to use. And the gas mileage sucks. I was getting around 14 MPG city on my '09 Grand Caravan.

:yeahthatsad: You cannot move 3rd to second :( You will need to go quite a bit older, or Sienna or Odyssey :(

Look into where a car is built when trying to "buy American". This is especially true for minivans. You can blame NAFTA for the results.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC