Radian loosening up in Hyundai Elantra but not Caravan?

equilibrium

We have a Radian 65 that ds uses in our Grand Caravan. I have had no issues with the superlatch thing in my van. He is in the middle driver's side seat in the van and even if I try to move the seat, it doesn't loosen up.

The other night I had to move the seat to my mom's car which is a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. I could NOT put it in properly. I don't know what I was doing wrong. I would put the latch on and tighten as much as I could and it would still have a tiny bit of slack moving side to side. Maybe up to a whole inch. So, I was frustrated and I said why is it moving? I would move it side to side and it would totally loosen up as if it wasn't even attached .

I ended up using the seat belt but I have to admit I wasn't sure how to install it properly. The seat belts lock when you pull on them. Do you need to use a clip with these types of belts?

Edited to add that the seat is FF.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Hyundai has switchable seatbelts - also known as ELR/ALR. To put them in locking mode, you need to pull the webbing all the way out of the retractor anytime you install a carseat.

As for the slipping of the UAS, it sounds like the latchplate was ending up sitting on enough of an angle that it just wouldn't stay locked in your mom's vehicle. The latchplate on the SL is basically a locking latchplate, and as with any locking latchplate, it won't lock if it's sitting on an angle. It's possible that you may have been encountering that, or the seat just may not have fit in there with UAS in there - it's hard to say without seeing it exactly what was going on.

You were right to switch to seatbelt though, so good job. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC