98 jeep cherokee

U

Unregistered

I'm searching for help on getting a tether installed in my 98 jeep cherokee. I called the dealer ship, the service department states we can install it and all I need to do is order the parts. I'm transfered to parts and told by parts, its not required. I inform the parts department about the safety of the tether and he states he doesn't have a number to order it. I don't know much about this tether kit, but from what I read it's needed for my daughter's carseat to face forward. My daughter is 21 months old and finally 20 lbs. She's a healthy preemie baby. Is there something I'm saying wrong to the parts department. I called other dealership and no one knows about it or I get transfered 5 times then get a voicemail. Help.. thanks in advance

ADS
Someone will have a manual here to give you part numbers...BUT...at 21mos and only 20lbs, your daughter would be much safer rear-facing. Especially if she was preemie, her muscles and bones will take longer to develop properly and rear facing will protect her sweet little neck and spine much better in a collision than forward facing will. Not to detract from the tether anchor...hunt for it and find it so that when the time comes in a year or two you can turn her FF and have the anchor already there...but in the mean time please consider keeping her RF.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
1) Leave her rear facing! Twenty pounds is the bare minimum, and frankly, is only a recommendation because there didn't used to be any seats that could be used rear facing over 20 lb. Now, all convertible seats can be used rear facing to at least 30 lb, if not longer. (See this page and this page.)

2) The guy was sort of right. You don't have to have a tether. However, it is recommended, and using the tether will improve the performance of your seat. The part number for the '98 Cherokee is 05003422AB. Tether anchors are only available for the outboard positions, not the center. They may, however, do the installation for free.
DaimlerChrysler will install tether anchors in certain older model year Chrysler Group vehicles free of charge. Please have the dealer refer to Technical Service Bullegin 23-08-00 Rev. A for details on the provisions of this policy.

As for why the dealers are ignorant? They just are. It can be frustrating, but it's not your fault.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC