Do you consider an open box car seat safe?

gigi

I'm wondering how many of you would use a car seat that came in an open box (like a customer return, not a store shelf model)?

I found a much needed extra base for my infant seat for a great price, but I'm certainly not going to sacrifice the safety of my baby for $20, lol!

Please let me know if you'd use a store return or open box child restraint for your own kids! Thanks!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If it's 'pristine' looking, I'd have no problems. Most bases are returned because people buy the wrong ones, try to put their seat in it, realize it won't work, and promptly return it. If there were a lot of stress marks or it was dirty, I'd find another base.

tiggercat

If it looks new, still in plastic/tags attached, I am fine with it. But I would look it over with a critical eye.
I did a check for a couple last night, and the seat had been opened and out of plastic, canopy attached, etc. Looking more closely, I could see wear marks at the handle, and the recline foot on the base popped in every time we tightened the UAS strap. I suggested they bring it back and let the store know it was damaged, because I wouldn't trust that is hadn't been compromised.

aeormsby

I'm not sure how it works with the extra bases, but I purchased a Frontier at Target that was an online return. All registration cards still attached to the seat (not sure how they'd be attached with a base only).

But, as long as it looks OK I'd go for it.

mish

I'm not sure. When I first read your thread I was all set to say "no way." Then I read the other replies and sort of changed my mind. I guess I would look it over very carefully and then make the decision. I'm leaning towards no though.

KaiLing

I was initially all flummoxed by the fact that the Sceneras at Target don't even come in boxes, since people are always warning against checking car seats and saying that boxes are what make tossing a seat around in transit OK. But the nice folks on this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=170087
convinced me that there is a difference between seats being moved by airlines and seats being shipped and unloaded at stores. A return adds another element, but I think it's more on the side of the box-less Sceneras than on the side of checking a car seat.

(I swear, this seems not off topic in my head. Hope I've explained it OK.)

gigi

Thanks for your responses so far.

I tend to err on the side of "no", but I can't really come up with a reason. I've never even mail ordered a car seat...I've only ever bought them off a store shelf. No lending of seats. No borrowing of seats. No gate checking seats. Etc, etc, etc. So I'm obviously very cautious. BUT I mean, really, what are the chances something is wrong with n infant seat base other than someone bought the wrong model or wrong color?

I'd love to hear as many opinions as possible!

ctbcleveland

Gigi,

It is pretty easy to get the wrong base, particularly with some manufacturers having different bases for different seats in their line up (like Graco). I know a ton of people who've done this.

Also - in the grand-scheme of things, I think there are fewer things to screw up on a base than with the seat itself. I'd give it a good once over - make sure the recline mechanism works, take a look at the latch straps, and call it good.

Can you return it once you buy it? You can also call the manufacturer once you have it home to be sure it was never registered.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC