Look what I found

ninejr

So once a year our town has something called a treasure hunt where people put out stuff they don't want and everybody drives around and looks for things they want. Then on Monday the town comes around and disposes of the trash that is left. Last year I just stressed about all the old car seats, but it didnt occur to me to pick them up, this year I figured I could pick them up and get rid of them. Anyway I will be putting it out on Monday to get picked up by the town, what do I do to it to make it unusable? Cut the straps, remove the cover, write expired on the shell? Anything else?
carseat004.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

amelia222

I'd put it in a black garbage bag too so its not as obvious what it is.

Good idea BTW! We had our this week and I didn't even think of looking for seats out by the road.

tjham

What a cool idea. I have so many things I would put out!

After removing and cutting up all straps, write Crashed - do not use.
And THEN put it in a black garbage bag!

Or do like I do, and pour used kitty litter all over it! ;)

kaleigh71

Neat idea, easier and quicker than Freecycle. I wonder how many seats got picked up by others before you saw them.

tjham

I put a Cozy Coupe out front with a free sign on it for 3 days and no one took it. :confused:

I had to take it back in before the next time my grandson came over. He hardly ever plays with it but if he saw me trying to give it away, then it would be his "favorite" of course! So it's still in the back yard! :p

djma

That is a neat idea! Wish our area would do something like that!

That seat looks to be in decent shape given it's age!

ninejr

It does look ok other than being really dirty. What you can't see is that the harness adjuster strap is really brittle and looks like it may have been bleached, I wouldn't be surprised if it were to snap with enough stress or just dissolve.

Shanora

beat the snot out of it with a sledge hammer..... lol

I wish we could do something like there here on the base. Our Base wide Yard sale is next month though. I'm going prepared with Fliers from Transport Canada that will have their expired seat page as well as their Yard sale caution page (which states that they CAN be held liable if someone gets hurt or killed while using a product bought from their yard sale!

jaded

That's called "spring clean up" around here, whatever doesn't get picked up goes in the trash. I ended up with 2 vacuums(one needed a belt, the other just cleaned) and a Step 2 wagon from ours!

My local SafeKids did a seat trade-in 2 day event last weekend, with Kohl's(in preparation for spring clean up, to keep the seats off the boulevard) if you brought in an old, expired, etc carseat, you got a $10 gift card for Kohl's! When I dropped off a seat, they had 3 big dumpsters full of seats.

mlohry

jaded said:
That's called "spring clean up" around here, whatever doesn't get picked up goes in the trash. I ended up with 2 vacuums(one needed a belt, the other just cleaned) and a Step 2 wagon from ours!

My local SafeKids did a seat trade-in 2 day event last weekend, with Kohl's(in preparation for spring clean up, to keep the seats off the boulevard) if you brought in an old, expired, etc carseat, you got a $10 gift card for Kohl's! When I dropped off a seat, they had 3 big dumpsters full of seats.

Got to love Kohl's. Wish they would do that here. I have 3 expired seats in the garage waiting for the next Babies R us trade in.

ninejr

You guys keep mentioning the trade in. Maybe I will just stick it in the garage and wait for the next trade in, then I don't have to worry about someone picking it up and trying to use it.

Kat_Momof3

beat it up with a hammer and/or let your dh cut it in half with a chainsaw... since the cover isn't for a current seat, i'd go as far as to cut it in half...

jaded

I loved the trade in at Kohl's, because I don't need any other baby items that I could use the coupon for at TRU, and really, who can't use $10 at Kohl's?

Calleiah

I chop up straps, remove any hardware that has screws, pop springs out of buttons, write CRASHED allllll over it, like every possible surface that can be seen. Then I have my DH beat it on the concrete as hard as he can. I dont have a chain saw. One of these days, Im going to my cousins with an expired seat to have him run over it with his John Deere tractor with 6ft tires. Thats going to be epic, and I plan to video it. :D Pancake carseat. LOL

ninejr

Shanora said:
Oh yeah I never even thought. The TRU trade-in runs until the 15th of this month!!

What can you get at the trade in? I don't need any big baby stuff right now, but hopefully by the next trade in we will need baby stuff. Or I suppose I could see if my expecting friends need anything

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC