Taking my CPST Class - What To Expect?

Connor's Mom

Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well! :happy-wavehello:
I know I haven't been around in quite sometime but as I am sure many of you know that real life gets hectic from time to time. I have logged on here occasionally to see how some of you are doing and to do re-search on specific car seat questions. I also am friends with DaniCPST who keeps me posted as well.

Anyway......
I am excited to finally become a CPST after wanting it for the last 5 years. I have remained passionate about CPS and am proud to say that I am the Chair of the new CPS Committee and the Safe Kids Buckle Up Program at St David’s North Austin Medical Center. Working with our new Trauma Manager we where awarded a grant from the Capital Area Trauma Regional Advisory Committee and where supplied tuition for the class for myself and one of our Paramedics plus we are supplied with car seats to distribute to the community. I am also proud to say the the St. David’s Partnership has really stepped up the effort to promote Child Passenger Safety within the Austin area. After becoming certified I will be doing seat checks at hospital events and also working closely with the hospital's Labor and Delivery department as know one in the department was interested in becoming a tech.

Anyway again.....
I am just wondering if some of you could provide me with some first hand knowledge as what to expect. I know that I am probably more prepared for this class than your average student but I would just like to have an idea as to what will be covered and what I might start lookin at/reading before my June class.
Any info will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance peeps!

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
http://www.cpsboard.org/techmanual_downloads.htm here you can download and read the entire technician manual, if you so desire!

Anyway, the class can be a lot of fun, if you have good instructors. The first day is a lot of technical information on the role of technicians, NHTSA, FMVSS standards, who makes the rules, and then some info about how seatbelts lock (or don't), basics of LATCH. A couple of hands on exercises looking at seatbelt systems and LATCH. The 2nd day is lots of hands on stuff with learning about rear and forward facing seats and how to install them and practicing installing. Day 3 usually starts with info on boosters, kids in seatbelts, and other transportation (busses, ambulance,etc), and info on how to do check forms, etc. Then you will have installation exercises to complete, along with a misuse scenario setup where you have to find out what is wrong with a bunch of seats/installations (my FAVORITE part of teaching!). Day 4 (sometimes later on day 3) is the carseat checkup event.

You will be so prepared and do well in the class, just from time spent here. Have fun with it!
Renee

ctbcleveland

Just wanted to wish you very good luck. My class is wrapping up this week. I've had so much fun!

I think everything the PP said was spot-on. The hardest part for me was the section on seatbelts. We don't spend a ton of time talking about it here unless someone's having a particular issue. But, it is covered extensively in the ciricullum and was very confusing to me because I only have newer vehicles.

Connor's Mom

Thanks Renee!
I think that I will download and at least hit the highpoints before the class. Is there a written test to take or just the install event?
My boss is still reeling in the fact that the class will take me and Craig away from the unit for a week, lol. He can't understand that the class is about more than learning how to install car seats. :rolleyes:
I fear for my co-worker Craig, lol. I have no doubt that he will do well in the class but think that he signed up to do this with me because we are close friends at work and that it would be fun to do together. I can't wait to see his face when he sees the manual for the 1st time, lol!

ctbcleveland - What was difficult about the seatbelts? Just trying to plan ahead, lol. I am hoping that helping my friends to install seats in all types of cars from a 65' Impalla to brand new Lexuses will help me. :)

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
The seatbelt section, and when/how to use a locking clip vs. a belt shortening clip does tend to be the part that is most confusing for people. It's about learning the different types of seatbelt systems, where/if they have retractors, what kind of retractor, and how/if the belt locks.

You will have three written tests in addition to the hands on activities. You get three chances to pass the hands on. The written testing you have to pass at 80% and there are no retakes, but becasue they are open book and you take them in three sections, it's not bad. I've only ever had one student fail on the written portion. It's usually the first test people do the worst on, which is actually the easiest, I think, but people think it will be easy because it's open book and don't take the time to be careful with their answers. That's my guess anyway, because we end up almost universally getting the most wrong on the first section. You get your scores back as you go, so you always know where you stand.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC