Should I replace my Radian XTSL?

LP Mom

I have a Radian XTSL for my 2 yo. It is installed with a seatbelt. However, I am now really uncomfortable using this seat given the company's appalling response regarding the LATCH loosening complaints. In addition to that, I have always hated the harness. I always find it extremly difficult to adjust and tighten. So I am now wondering whether I should replace it. I would need any potential replacement seat to fit in the center of the back seat of my BMW X5 so that we can have a third passenger back there. Our oldest is in a Britax Frontier.

Thoughts?

ADS

Stelvis

If you hate the seat and you can afford/want to replace it, and you can find something else that meets your needs, then go ahead.

However, if your XTSL is installed with the seatbelt, and otherwise functioning, there's no reason why it would be dangerous to use.

Personally, I'm replacing mine, because I just can't stand looking at the name "Radian" on a product I use every day after what they put me through. But that doesn't mean everyone should do the same as me.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If you weren't making the consideration before others stated complaints about their seats (based on a method of installation that doesn't appear to apply to your situation) then I would say no ... if you were already considering replacing this seat for your own pre-existing reasons, then sure.

Do you have a spare seat? If I were you I would just leave this seat where it is permanently & choose a spare seat that would likely be easier install in various alternate vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org {please disregard typos!}

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd keep it. Yeah, the harness adjuster is a booger. Do you have the longer crotch strap? Often you can buckle it up easier without having to adjust it as much.
I've read of horrific customer service issues about every brand at some point or other (Dorel, not knowing even which seat models it recalled for various issues, doesn't recall seats for fraying harness issues and whatnot), that doesn't make me stop using a seat that fits my child and my car, even if it's a brand I don't lovelovelove (Safety 1st booster fits both my kids comfortably, I have no problem giving that company my business, in the end).

LP Mom

Thanks everyone. I will mull it over then. I do like how it allows for so much room for a third passenger.

How can I make the process of adjusting the harness easier? I always have trouble tightening it because the metal split plate falls right where the bottom of the car seat touches the backseat and kind of gets stuck there. Even my 230 pound 6 foot tall DH has a heck of a time pulling on the strap. Are we doing something wrong? I am sometimes afraid that the harness is not tight enough.

AnnieW625

What would you replace it with? Is there any other seat that you'll be able to use that would rear face him as long, and if not would you be happy turning him around before you would've done so with the XTSL?

No clue on the seat as I don't own it but the above questions would be ones that I would want to have concrete answers and be fine with those answers before I decided to sell that seat.

AnnaC

I'm not considering getting rid of mine. I have it installed with the seatbelt, and I check the install and harness often.

Are you adjusting the harness each time your child gets in and out of the car? I don't- I just leave it how it is. DD and I have learned how to finnagle her in there even with it still snug. She has to slide her bottom to the back of the seat. I like not adjusting it each time though, because I know that if I'm needing to loosen it to get her buckled in then it's probably either because she's not sitting in it properly, or is wearing something too bulky(which we'd then remove). I also like knowing that when DH buckles her in she'll be snug enough(cause when he adjusts it he often doesn't get it tight enough). Yeah, the ratcheting harness can be a pain, but I don't adjust it often so it doesn't bother me.

Not sure if everyone else does it that way, just thought I'd share in case it was helpful. And I'm not sure how old your child is- I know I had to adjust each time in the bucket seat, but as she got older/bigger it's gotten easier to just leave it pre-adjusted.

LP Mom

The issue with us is that we have to re-adjust it depending on whether DS is wearing a t-shirt or a sweater etc. Temperature swings here are crazy. Maybe I will try tightening it more without him in it and then see if I can just leave it that way.

If I replace it, I would probably get a Britax Roundabout 55. I just love those Britax harnesses. He is not a large kid. Probably around 34-35 inches and 26 pounds at 27 months. I have no idea whether the Frontier and the Roundabout would puzzle well in my car though.

AnnaC

Techs correct me if I'm wrong, but if a child is wearing a sweater or jacket that's bulky enough to require loosening the harness, doesn't that mean that it's too bulky to be safe?

Maybe you could keep a light jacket handy that you could put over him backwards after he's buckled?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
AnnaC said:
Techs correct me if I'm wrong, but if a child is wearing a sweater or jacket that's bulky enough to require loosening the harness, doesn't that mean that it's too bulky to be safe?

Not necessarily. Sure there are hugely thick sweaters that should be avoided but layering with normal weight sweater/sweatshirt is indeed a recommended method for dealing with temperature swings. Where I am it often hits near 70* one day & then flurries the next. A regular t-shirt with jacket over the harness just is not always sufficient. I pretty much always end up loosening the harness to get kiddo in/out & retighten before starting on our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org {please disregard typos!}

sparkyd

How can I make the process of adjusting the harness easier?

Try unbuckling, tightening, then re-buckling. You still might have to pull hard, but it should move a little easier.

I was waffling about buying a 2nd Radian because of all the hoopla, but I've decided I'm going to go ahead and do it. It is the best choice for our situation.

luvsviola

I'm an enabler with a buying habit.

If there is something else you want to buy, go for it. But make sure it is something super cute to justify. I replaced mine with a Livia Frontier for my 4 year old.

LP Mom

Try unbuckling, tightening, then re-buckling. You still might have to pull hard, but it should move a little easier.
great idea! thank you!

I'm an enabler with a buying habit.

If there is something else you want to buy, go for it. But make sure it is something super cute to justify. I replaced mine with a Livia Frontier for my 4 year old.
lol. :)

And for the record, we avoid puffy coats and jackets. We live in Chicago. We HAVE to use thicker sweaters at times.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC