A few Multi-tech questions

mrs.christie

What is the typical age/weight/height that is required to use the seat. How would a 6 mo old baby fit?

Any experience with installation in a newer Chrysler Town & Country (2010), both in the captain's chairs and third row?

How easy is installation? I love using latch and I'm aware that the MT requires a seat belt installation. I'm not the best at belt installations, but I have mastered the radian and that seat is a PITA.

Where is the MT manufactured?

Any US users of the MT concerned about the lack of testing in US vehicles?

Any US users have a hard time keeping their 4-5 yr old RFing due to social pressure?

Why are techs here okay FFing at 3-4 when in Sweden the norm to RF until 4-5 (or so I gather). Is it simply b/c our seats only go up to 3-4 yrs max on the typical kid?

Thanks!

ADS

jenfrogmom

I can answer a few of your questions.

First, a six month old might nbe a little small. I think it is for 9 months and up. My ds is 14 months and about the 50th percentile and fits wonderful.

Second, The install for me was easy. They have HUGE lockoffs built in so, it is pretty darn easy to get an install once you get the hang of it. There is a learning curve, though. Should install great in your van. I have a Mazda 5 and a Dodge Ram 1500 and it installs great in both. If you want to know for sure how it installs in that exact van, I can go to my friends house and try it out (she has that van) just let me know.

I am not really concerned about it not being tested in the US.

It is a great seat. I love it and I feel it was worth every single penny.

Here is a link to some pics of our seat.
https://picasaweb.google.com/sherwoodforestdiaper/MultiTech#

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Why are techs here okay FFing at 3-4 when in Sweden the norm to RF until 4-5 (or so I gather). Is it simply b/c our seats only go up to 3-4 yrs max on the typical kid?

North American best practice standards include forward-facing harnessed as a step between rear-facing and boostered.

Swedish standards do not.

Swedish 3-4yos are no more ready for booster use than North American 3yos, so they stay rear-facing since they do not typically harness forward-facing.

The different standards of practice mean that different seats are developed.

Leche Mami

I definitely don't think a 6 month old would fit unless they have a mega long torso. My 20 month old (who is in the 10th percentile for height) only started fitting a few months ago.

We haven't faced any issues with our 5 year old RF in it but he wants to be that way. He was FF for 9 months before we bought it and we bought it at his request... he asked every day for those 9 months to go back RF. We have had some older kids ask their parents why he is RF that way and ask if they can too since they feel it is safer. He's not in school so I guess we'll see if he feels any differently then. He will absolutely NOT FF in my DH's car (regardless of how he feels) until he maxes out our TWE though and probably not even then... it is a two-seater. Since DH will be taking him to school every day, I'm hoping it lasts him a good while longer.

mrs.christie

Thanks for all your replies! I think I might go for it and order one this summer. How long does it take to get one from the site mentioned here?

DD is somewhat tall (was 32" at 12 months), but she must be all leg because she still has a ton of room in her BLVD. Regardless though she'll need another seat as DH will be driving her to preschool in his car this fall. I like the blvd a lot, but I know it won't last past age 3 RFing. I'm not crazy about the radian anymore, so maybe the MT is the way to go. Of course DS will need one too when it's time to move him from his infant carrier.

Adventuredad

- Multi Tech is approved rear facing 9-25 kg (20-55 lbs)

- Like other swedish Rf seats we recommend a child being able to sit unassisted before moving from infant seat to a RF seat.

- It depends on size but at 6 months the seat would likely fit but feel a little big

- Installation is easy and straight forward. Installation video can be found here. COunt on a little longer time installing the very first time. After a couple of times it should be quite fast

- Social pressure can be an issue although I have personally always tried to "copy" good things other parents do and avoid the stupid/dangerous/less than ideal things. I think a confident parent won't have any issues with this. I've spent lots of time in Mexico with my kids and our rear facing seats. There I'm called crazy for even using a car seat, regardless of age of the children, but that has never bothered me.

- Swedish seats are approved according to the European standard ECE R44 which is slightly stricter than the US FVMSS 213 standard. Swedish seats are technically illegal to use in US which is a bureaucratic strategic reason and not a safety reason

- We have been keeping children rear facing in Sweden since 1965 so we have of course lots of experience. Rear facing until age 4 is the default over here. In US the default is Rf until 12-15 months. Habits are very different which is why recommendations from techs might be a little different.

- MT will fit equally well in a US , Swedish, Australian, German, South African, etc car. The seat fits virtually any car, except perhaps a super tiny car, without extra equipment.

KaiLing

Thanks for all your replies! I think I might go for it and order one this summer. How long does it take to get one from the site mentioned here?
I ordered one on 4/21. It left Sweden on 4/28, arrived USA 5/3 and I'll let you know when it comes to my door (I'm in rural NY).

I dithered too long and Hakan sold all the MTs that he had at a lower price, so if you see something on his site that has a good discount, do it.

jenfrogmom

(Nerd who can't stop peeking out the front door to see if her MT came alert): Care to share the size of those kids in those photos? So I can obsess a leeetle more? And that's the Mazda 5?

The oldest is 42lbs and 42" at 4 years old. He actually has room to grow. :) My youngest is 15 months, 24lbs, and 30" tall. Yup, that is a Mazda 5. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC