harnessed seat for 5yo

lizajane30

I'm looking for advice on a new seat for DS who seems to have suddenly outgrown his BLVD. He has sensory issues and is definitely not able at this point to sit properly in a booster. We would like to keep him harnessed for as long as possible.

His stats:
5.5yo
49 lbs
46 inches tall (16 inches butt to shoulder)

We drive a 2005 Odyssey and his seat is in one of the captain's chairs. We will not be moving his seat very often, and will not need to use it for airline travel. Cost is a factor, but not THE deciding factor. Ease of installation and use are very important, of course.

Thanks!

ADS

firemomof3

I would go with the Frontier because it has the tallest top harness slots which will enable you to keep him harnessed for as long as possible :)

lizajane30

The only person I know IRL who owns a Frontier says she doesn't like it: straps are always twisted, hard to install. Is it easier to install in an Ody than a smaller car (Civic)? I'm going to try out a Frontier this weekend to see if we like it. The Nautilus is so much cheaper, but I'm guessing from the stats listed on this site that I will actually get more use out of a Frontier (esp. considering we have a younger child who might get use out of it eventually)?
Any other suggestions/opinions? Thanks!

BeautifulChaos

The only person I know IRL who owns a Frontier says she doesn't like it: straps are always twisted, hard to install. Is it easier to install in an Ody than a smaller car (Civic)? I'm going to try out a Frontier this weekend to see if we like it. The Nautilus is so much cheaper, but I'm guessing from the stats listed on this site that I will actually get more use out of a Frontier (esp. considering we have a younger child who might get use out of it eventually)?
Any other suggestions/opinions? Thanks!

I haven't had problems with the straps twisting on mine. I prefer the Frontier to the Nautilus. I have installed it in an Azrek, Ion, Suburban, Flex, and a chrysler something or other. Of the those only the Suburban and Flex can use the short belt path and both were super easy installs. The hardest for me was the Ion, mostly because I am pregnant and can't bend lol.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Does the person who dislikes the seat have a Frontier or a Frontier85? The Frontier was quirky, but Britax seems to have worked out the kinks in the Frontier85.

Susan

Ladybugmama

I have a three year old with SPD and we love the BF85. She normally hates the straps on harnesses but the covers on theses straps help. She has the cow cover and it's soft, another plus for sensory issues. The wide seat is nice because she can spread out and the arm rests are not in the way. We have owned many different seats and this is by far her favorite

lizajane30

Does the person who dislikes the seat have a Frontier or a Frontier85? The Frontier was quirky, but Britax seems to have worked out the kinks in the Frontier85.

Susan

Good point--it's a Frontier, not F85. I tried it out today and it seems fine but, yes, her harness straps are twisted. I think I could untwist them, I know a bit more about car seats than she does.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
If you're not careful, ANY seat could get twisty straps. It's just a matter of being mindful of them. Some seats twist easier than others, but if you're careful---you can take care of any twists before they get bad.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC