Would they be safe in a HBB

jb28kds

Hi, I'm new to the board and have a question. We had to downsize our car to a Dodge Caravan from a Yukon XL and we don't have as much room for our carseats and people that need to fit in a car. Without boring you with all the ages of my kids and who all we need to fit in our car I have a question.
My question:
I currently have 2 Graco Nautilus for 2 of my kids but they are so wide. I was wondering if they would be safe in a Graco turbo HBB.
DD (5 1/2 yr) 37 lbs & 45 in.
DS (4 1/2 yr) 44 lbs & 44 in.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Feel free to bore us with all the details, we really do need them to recommend seats that will work in exactly the configuration you want them to. 4 and 5 are a bit young for full time booster riding, I've found with my own kids, and it's not easier to buckle boosters than harnessed seats, so the Turbo might not be the first seats I'd be considering. But it would really depend on the other kids and seats you have in there.
Welcome to the board! :)

jb28kds

Ok, I'll try :). I have 5 kids that ride regularlly in the car and sometimes 6 + DH and I.
15 yr
10 yr
6 1/2 is in a booster
5 1/2 is in a Graco Nautilus (GN)
4 1/2 is in a Graco Nautilus (GN)

Sometimes my 19 yr. (I have 8 kids total). When he comes home from college.
Right now I have a GN in the middle and the booster and GN in the 3rd seat in back.
When all 7 ride together that puts: 15 yr & GN in bucket seats in middle and in 3rd row I will have booster, 10 yr old, and GN. This ends up being very crowded and squashed. This is where I was wondering if I had a few more inches (3 1/2) it would be better. I can't afford an expensive one that is why I was thinking if I sold my GN and got a turbo booster it would give us space as well as not cost us any more money.
Also, is it ok if the front bottom of the GN comes off the seat in the front of the middle bucket seat? It seems sturdy but wanted to ask since I had you here :)
I hope this all makes sense.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Short answer: 5yo maybe (but probably won't be able to buckle himself in a tight three-across), 4yo probably not.

We can give much better answers with more information. :)

Jillybeans5

I would try Maestros for them. At their ages they shouldn't be packing on the pounds too fast, so even with a 50 lb weight limit it would likely get them to a safe booster age. If you plan to keep one of your harnessed kiddos in a captains chair you could keep one nauti, sell the other and buy one maestro. The maestro is usually $80 and you could probably sell one of your nauti's on craigslist for close to that.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think since the crowding isn't an everyday problem, you should look into the Ride-Safer Travel Vest. The kids can use their GNs for most rides, but when you've got a packed van and need some room, you can remove one of the carseats (maybe two depending on how you want to arrange things & how much you can spend) and use the RSTV instead. It's just complicated enough that most parents don't want to replace their regular carseats, but it easy enough to make it worthwhile for occasional trips.

Pixels

The front edge of the Nautilus can overhang in harnessed mode only. To use it as a booster, the GN must be 100% on the seat with no overhang.

I agree with the suggestion of the Maestro.

hrice

Also, is it ok if the front bottom of the GN comes off the seat in the front of the middle bucket seat? It seems sturdy but wanted to ask since I had you here :)

As long as 80% of the base of the GN is touching the seat you are ok. In booster mode, however, 100% of the base must make contact with the vehicle seat.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
One other question: Do you have shoulder belts in all positions in your car? If not, the lap only positions should absolutely be harnessed. It is not safe for anyone to ride with a lap only belt, not ever.

jb28kds

One other question: Do you have shoulder belts in all positions in your car? If not, the lap only positions should absolutely be harnessed. It is not safe for anyone to ride with a lap only belt, not ever.

No the middle back is lap belt only. When I tried the Nautilus in that spot there wasn't room for the booster next to it so I'm stuck putting my 10 yr old in that spot only when we go somewhere as a family and my DH is with us. I wish all cars made shoulder belts for all seats.

I checked the width of the Maestro and it was just as wide as the Nautilus if not a tad wider.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
No the middle back is lap belt only. When I tried the Nautilus in that spot there wasn't room for the booster next to it so I'm stuck putting my 10 yr old in that spot only when we go somewhere as a family and my DH is with us. I wish all cars made shoulder belts for all seats.

I checked the width of the Maestro and it was just as wide as the Nautilus if not a tad wider.

The Maestro is narrower than the Nautilus. You might want to try a Maestro in the lap belt only position. It really isn't safe to have any one ride in a lap belt only position, they are at much greater risk of injury in a collision due to their upper body not being restrained.

mamakc

The maestro is narrower. One paper it doesn't seem that much smaller, but in real life, it is shaped very differently than the Nautilus. The nautilus is not conducive to puzzling at all. I second (or third or whatever) the Maestro. It is all around less bulky (and it still has cup holders!)

jb28kds

Ok I moved 1 nautilus to the center back at the moment (lap belt only). But have decided to sell both of the Nautilus and buy 2 slimmer convertible seats with the money. Then I will put both convertibles next to each other in the back and put the booster in the 2nd row.

I just tried to put both Nautilus next to each other in the back and it doesn't work. Any suggestions for a slimmer seat? I'll keep the Maestro in mind, I just want some options.

momtoo3

I would try:
Nautilus for your 4 yr old and booster for your 6 yr old in the captains seats and then a Maestro in the middle of the 3rd row for your 5 yr old with your 10 and 15 yr olds on either side. I have a 2003 caravan and I can get the Maestro in the middle with the lap belt and my 10 yr old on one side with just as much room on the other side.
I would keep one Nautilus for your 4 yr old since the Maestro only goes to 50 pounds. If you keep it on the captains chair it shouldn't really matter. Good luck!

Kat_Momof3

what gets a flag going up for me... you have the same year caravan I do, which means that the center seat in the third row is a lap-only belt... the ONLY thing that should ever go there is a harnessed seat, ride safer vest, or booster with the use of an 86-Y harness.

This is what I'd do...

15 yr - third row, outboard
10 yr - third row outboard
6 1/2 - booster in 2nd row captain's chair
5 1/2 is in a Graco Nautilus (GN) - 2nd row captain's chair
4 1/2 - get an evenflo Maestro or Ride Safer Vest and put in the middle of the third row.

momtoo3

what gets a flag going up for me... you have the same year caravan I do, which means that the center seat in the third row is a lap-only belt... the ONLY thing that should ever go there is a harnessed seat, ride safer vest, or booster with the use of an 86-Y harness.

This is what I'd do...

15 yr - third row, outboard
10 yr - third row outboard
6 1/2 - booster in 2nd row captain's chair
5 1/2 is in a Graco Nautilus (GN) - 2nd row captain's chair
4 1/2 - get an evenflo Maestro or Ride Safer Vest and put in the middle of the third row.

:yeahthat: Except I would put the 5 1/2 yr old in the Maestro since it has a 50 pound limit and the 4 1/2 yr old in the Nautilus since he is heavier than your daughter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC