click it or ticket campaign

1girltwinboyz

anyone know if the PO has to have a sign or something referring to this to stop someone for speeding in another town/city? I was stopped this morning for speeding in one town by another town's PO. there were no signs of click it etc stop points. He just pulled me over. I was barely 500 ft from exiting an establishment and do not believe i could have gotten up that fast in dh's old mercedes diesel that runs on veg oil that I was driving with the boys. I am going to fight it. If he only knew how into safety regarding seat belts and carseats I would like to think he would have not given me a $144 fine!

Any help would be appreciated!

ADS

mominabigtruck

A city cop can't pull you over in another town's jurisdiction period. If it was a trooper he can pull you over anywhere in the state you in and a sherriff can pull you over anywhere in the county you're in. Fight it!!

southpawboston

i would research your local laws... some counties or towns that border one another may have a local ordinance in effect that allow the neighboring POs to have jurisdiction up to a certain distance into a bordering town. that said, i have not personally heard of this.

what exactly does this have to do with "click it or ticket"? i thought that was a seatbelt campaign... but you were pulled over for speeding?

anyway, you can always fight a ticket, that's your right. but do look up the laws to make sure whatever argument you use in your defense is legitimate.

1girltwinboyz

YES he said i was going 42 in a 25 mph zone. he was South Burlington Police and I was in Essex Junction. He had NO SIGNS or anything up for clickit or ticket but did tell me that was why he stopped me BEFORE telling me i was speeding. I am trying to find some regulations on this click it or ticket campaign to use. Google is not giving me anything useful yet....

I always wear my seat belt. That was never a thought when I got pulled over. All kids buckled into MAs and Boosters. WTH?

ETA: its not illegal to have dd in high back booster in front seat? with two MAs in back of mercedes i cannot fit her in there and no air bags (1981 model).

mominabigtruck

I asked my dh about it and he says you might be able to file a complaint against the offer since he was violating protocol.

kjcoggins0405

You were going 17 miles over the speed limit. THAT is why a police officer stopped you. Why does it bother you that he is from another district? And yes where I live police officers can stop people in other jurisdictions. And NO he does have to have signs up. You were going 17 miles over the speed limit. Why is this the police officers fault?

1girltwinboyz

I called SBPD and the woman who answered the phone said any PO in the State have jurisdiction throughout the entire State. :eek:

I do not believe I was going that fast. I know those radar thingies can be off as much as 10 MPHs. My mercedes diesel um does not accellerate like my honda van. I was barely 500' from the turning onto the road.

wondering1

The judge should check to see if the officer meets the calibration requirements of their radar if radar was used to determine that you were speeding. Click it or ticket allows officers to pull over drivers they suspect are not using seatbelts.

Does this vehicle have shoulder belts? If not, then perhaps that's why the officer pulled you over. I do not think that click it or ticket requires signs for enforcement.

Do go to court, but leave your anger/emotion at home. Judges see people every day and they already have a way they handle cases like this. Bring in pictures of the car, proof that it uses bio-diesel, a note from a long time mechanic, evidence that you just pulled out of that establishment (receipt). The judge may or may not accept any of this evidence, but you should be prepared to offer it as requested.

Judge Wapner did take a drive in a plaintiff's old car once...the ride convinced him that it was impossible for the car to be going 85 mpg or whatever he was accused of. So, I'd bring the car along, too!

NOTE: if the judge already has a plan, it'll likely be a reduced fine and no points. No points is the IMPORTANT PART. Points makes your car insurance go up. Take the reduced fine is that's what you are offered after explaining your case.

BTW, I'm much more likely to speed if I'm feeling stressed/rushed. How were you feeling when you left that establishment? Where were you heading? I'd return to the scene and see if you can recreate the situation - you may be surprised that 45 is easy to hit when you are feeling that way.

mominabigtruck

You were going 17 miles over the speed limit. THAT is why a police officer stopped you. Why does it bother you that he is from another district? And yes where I live police officers can stop people in other jurisdictions. And NO he does have to have signs up. You were going 17 miles over the speed limit. Why is this the police officers fault?

THat is the biggest load of bs I've heard yet today. What are we living in the wild west and cops can go around doing whatever they want willy nilly? People saying crap like that is why cops get on power trips and think they can do whatever they want. If that was true then they wouldn't have city cops, everyone would just be like a state trooper.

1girltwinboyz

VT. Yup shoulder and lap belts in all places where people where (lap only belt in middle of back seat but not being used). I will fight it (I was a crim def paralegal in my former life. time to see how rusty i am!). of course check my ego at the door. I know that never wins a case! I will question PO on the calibration of his speeding detecting device and show pics of the car and where i came from. Luckily there was a security guard at the entrance/exit of dh's work. So he saw me come and go.

Stopped for speeding - no seat belt violations ever in my vehicle!

ThreeBeans

You were stopped for excessive speeding. That is why you got a ticket. It has nothing to do with the 'click or ticket' campaign.

Also, many towns have mutual enforcement agreements with surrounding communities as their budgets are not high enough to hire the number of officers they usually need.

You can always fight the ticket, but you'll forgive me when I say I'm not overflowing with sympathy ;)

TheRealMacGyver

I'm confused about this post. How does the "click-it or ticket" campaign tie into getting pulled over for speeding? Seems like two entirely different issues to me. You were pulled over for speeding, right? So, even if they were running a DUI check point nearby, how would that have any relationship to you speeding? Maybe, I just missed something here?

natysr

This stuff is hard to answer in general, because each state/county/parish/city/town/unicorporated area could be different...that being said, my understanding is that you can be pulled over by any cop, but then they could call dispatch to have an officer from the proper jurisdiction come to the location to issue the citation.

Think about police chases, those can go over several jurisdictions, just because you cross county or state lines doesn't mean the cop has to stop chasing and turn around and go home.

1girltwinboyz

He specifically said he was part of the click it or ticket campaign. I wonder why he told me that then if he stopped me for ALLEGEDLY speeding. I still do not believe i was going that fast. lasers can be WRONG. that's where that info came from. but it is moot now as VT police officers of any city/town of jurisdicion in the entire state.

lovinwaves

He specifically said he was part of the click it or ticket campaign. I wonder why he told me that then if he stopped me for ALLEGEDLY speeding. I still do not believe i was going that fast. lasers can be WRONG. that's where that info came from. but it is moot now as VT police officers of any city/town of jurisdicion in the entire state.

What does your ticket say exactly? Have you looked at it closely to see what violations he marked on there?

southpawboston

What does your ticket say exactly? Have you looked at it closely to see what violations he marked on there?

right. he could have been on detail at that location for the "click it or ticket" campaign, but that doesn't mean he can't pull you over for something unrelated to that campaign.

did he use his radar? or just estimated speed? it should be stated on the citation.

1girltwinboyz

violation of 23 vsa 1007 speeding in a residential area laser 42/25.

i mean i could see clearly the exit i came out of where i was pulled over. Maybe less than 500 ft.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
In my area, police often conduct special "click it or ticket" enforcement zones near the entrance/exits to shopping centers, especially around a major holiday when traffic is heavier. Perhaps the officer that pulled you over was in the area for that reason and was merely explaining his presence there near the shopping center's exit when he pulled you over for allegedly speeding.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC